Hurricane Harvey: A Reminder Tragedy Is Color Blind

This is no time for politics.

28
Boaz Guttman

On August 25th, Texas saw the arrival of the first Category 4 hurricane since Carla in 1961. Since its arrival, it has gone down to a tropical storm, but this in no way lessens the destruction it has wrought throughout southeast Texas.

The damage is catastrophic, and is considered the worst natural disaster in Texas history. Recovery is expected to take years, and already, over $17 million have been raised in relief efforts.

This much is certain: Texas has banded together.

It isn't hard to find people who normally disagree setting aside their differences for something much more important – life.

With this said, it pains me to read about those who think this catastrophe is "karma" for Texans.

Comments about how white conservatives and anyone who voted for Trump should be targeted by Harvey, have been circling the internet.

People have actually been wishing death on anyone who disagrees with them.

People are looting homes and businesses belonging to white/conservatives.

There is a time and a place for everything – and the middle of the worst natural disaster Texas has ever seen – is not the time for politically fueled hatred.

There is never a time to wish death upon anyone who disagrees with you.

You may hate the president with every fiber of your being, and that's your fundamental right, but there are people who hated our other option with every fiber of their being.

Just as you may believe Trump has America's worst interest at heart, so may someone else believe the same about the other party.

Who's right?

According to you, nobody but you and like-minded people are correct. The other party will, of course, have the same mindset.

It seems we're at an impasse.

Whatever your political affiliation, there is no reason you should be wishing death upon your fellow Americans.

Just as any religion that encourages hate, intolerance and death should be avoided, so should any political party or stance.

Hasn't there been enough hate in the world to last several lifetimes?

Why must this be perpetuated in a time where people are grieving for their losses and fearing for their lives?

Why must it be perpetuated at all?

People are focusing on all the wrong things: Melania Trump wearing high heels on the plane to Texas, how much Trump did or didn't donate, what Trump is tweeting, comparing donation sizes, etc.

How about focusing on rebuilding rather than focusing on what people are or aren't doing?

Let's focus on spreading love and helping those who need it instead of playing politics. This should be our priority whether or not there's a natural disaster, but it's a good start.

All lives matter.

Strip away the skin, and we're all the same. We all have beating hearts, and they should be filled with nothing but love and understanding.

It's time to stop hating people because they look or think differently than us.

It's 2017, let's act like it.

#TexasStrong