Always Stay Humble And Kind

Always Stay Humble And Kind

Lessons from Tim McGraw's latest hit single that go farther than just the song.
72

Released on January 20th, 2016, Tim McGraw's latest hit single "Humble and Kind" is a mere four minutes and 20 seconds long, yet is packed with life lessons that are deeper than just lyrics. The attention of those listening is immediately caught with the opening lines, "You know there's a light that glows by the front door/ Don't forget the key's under the mat" because of how relatable they are, and the lyrics resonate in your head for the rest of the day. Almost every other line suggests a different tidbit of information that will make life a little sweeter.

"Always stay humble and kind."

As the title and chorus both suggest, the song focuses on staying modest and doing little things that will make life better. No matter how well we succeed in life, this line reminds us to be appreciative of our opportunities and accomplishments, yet not boast 24/7 about them. It also is a reminder to stay kind and caring to those who surround us, and to ourselves.

"Visit Grandpa every chance that you get."

Perhaps one of the most important lines from the song, this is a topic that we don't often think about, yet should. Life is short, and while we focus on those around us, we don't often pause to think about those who may not be around as long as us. A simple phone call or visit to our grandparent(s) often means more to them than we could ever imagine.

"Hold the door, say please, say thank you."

While these should be obvious things, it is astonishing how often simple manners go forgotten. Regardless of the politeness factor, making someone smile is as easy as grabbing the door when they are carrying a lot, or thanking someone for a simple thing. Holding the door shouldn't be something that is regarded as an "old fashioned thing," yet nowadays it causes amazement when seen.

"Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie."

The fundamentals for every childhood, this line states the obvious. These are important for functioning in society, relationships or any general situation you may find yourself in. They lie behind truth and trust, and when either of those are broken, they can be extremely hard to gain back.

"Don't take for granted the love this life gives you."

The meanings behind this line are endless, as it manages to use "love" as an ambiguous term. It could be reminding us of the literal love we receive from people or animals, or the metaphorical love that comes from having life in general. It is a simple reminder to be appreciative of everything you have and to hold on to it because one day it may be gone.

"Help the next one in line."

As simple as helping your neighbor; this line comes after "When you get where you're going/don't forget turn back around." There are things in life we struggle with, and when we finally reach the light at the end of the tunnel it is as if a weight is lifted off of our shoulders. This line reminds us to share our discoveries with others, because they may be struggling with the same thing we did.

Sure to bring memories to your mind, (or maybe even tears to your eyes) this song strays away from the usual "result of a heartbreak" song that seems to top the charts nowadays and reminds us of the things more important in life. If you haven't heard it, I recommend doing so, and you can thank me later.