Humans of Orlando Interview

From that thrilling movie trailer your friends can't stop talking about to the event you had fun on your campus, there are people behind the magic.

Creating pieces and imagery to spread awareness of these events and news in the media are careers that individuals dream of doing. My childhood friend Kaitlin Blanton is one of those people. I sat down with her to discuss her hopes and dreams of the public relation world.

She had an inviting smile as we sat in her cozy apartment decked with flowers and candles.

"I'm 23 years old and was born in Jacksonville, FL. I went to UCF and majored in Advertising/Public Relations. I graduated in May 2018. My favorite thing to do is travel. I love visiting new places and making new memories with the people I love. I absolutely adore music and there's nothing like seeing your favorite artists perform live."

Q: What profession are you in?

Public Relations, specifically hospitality PR. My clients include restaurants, hotels, theme parks, etc.

Q: What got you into public relations/marketing?

I first heard about PR after watching "The Hills"...cliche, I know. After researching more about PR, I realized it was exactly what I wanted to do. I absolutely love writing. I'm a people person and love building meaningful relationships so PR is the perfect combination of the two.

Q: Who do you look up to in the pr/ social media industry?

I honestly look up to the people I work with. In my company, there are so many talented PR professionals. I get to learn from the best.
Q: what do you think is the importance of a positive influence on social media?

I think as a society that we absolutely need more positive influences on social media. Social media is so consuming and can honestly be mentally draining. I truly believe a lot of problems stem from social media. Totally not bashing social media as a whole because I do believe it has plenty of positives, I just think the negatives sometimes are ignored. Everyone's social media serves as a platform, whether it be big or small, and it's important to utilize that platform the best of your ability. Being positive, even if it's just a tiny post, can hopefully touch someone's day and making it a little bit better.

Q: What are your goals in 2019 professionally?

My main goal is to continue to push myself to put out the best work possible. This is the first year of my professional career so I think it's a year of growth. I'm basically like a sponge and need to continue to soak up everything I can possibly learn. I'm constantly striving to learn more and to take on more challenging tasks.

Q: What can you say to someone that wants to get into your career?

NETWORK, network, network. Being successful in PR is all about who you know. Do internships. Get your foot in the door any way you can.

Q: What do you think about the new trend of pr through celebrities and YouTubers and it opening audiences to it?

I think it's great! I think it gives poetry a chance to be heard by an audience who wouldn't necessarily give it a chance, to begin with.

Q: How has the pr platform change the way you're able to produce and be creative and reach people?

I think being in PR just really has helped me with finding words to make my voice more effective and find ways to better communicate with people. I think as people we normally don't pay that close of attention to what we say and how our words come across, but in PR it's absolutely vital to choose your words wisely.

You can connect with Kaitlin through her LinkedIn.