To The High School Seniors, Try To Find The Beauty In This Time Off

Soak in all the time you have at home. You won't be there much longer.

665

As a recent high school graduate, I can recall all the anticipation and jitters that come when you're down to your last few months.

You have prom, college decision day, and graduation. You're starting to feel that "OMG this is the last time I'll get to do this" feeling, and the "I can't wait to be done with this place" attitude.

I know that excitement and sadness all too well because just last spring I was in the same position, and that's how I can imagine the sadness you all must be feeling.

Coronavirus has completely changed your idea of how the next three months are going to happen. You might not get to wear that prom dress or go on your senior trip now, and if I were you I would be devasted.

Believe me when I say I feel for you because I do. I'm sure I would feel the same if I was in your class, but having already tossed my cap gives me a whole new perspective, a perspective you probably don't want to hear, but one I think is important. It might seem like coronavirus ruined your life, but the way I see it is it might have done the opposite, and here's why:

You get to spend time with your family.

In a few short months, you won't get to come home and watch your favorite show with your mom or stay up late making TikToks with your sister. Instead, you'll have to call them from your dorm room a state away. Take this time off to soak up those last home-cooked meals and family game nights. They'll be gone before you know it.

You get to learn what it's like to be self-motivated.

College is hard, but it's hard because you don't have anyone telling you what to do. You could literally not go to a single class and all you'd receive is some stern emails from your professors. Having this time off from in-person classes can show you just how important it is to prioritize and be self-motivated. The few weeks of online schooling will help in your transition.

You get to clear your head before making one of the biggest decisions of your life.

Deciding what college you're going to go to is hard. It's probably the biggest decision you're going to make for a while. In a normal situation, you would have sports, exams, parties, family gatherings, and a lot more distracting you from weighing your options. Now you have ample time to think and hopefully make the decision that's best for you.

You get more time.

You would be surprised by the little things you'll miss when you're away at college. There's no couch to stretch out on, no animals to greet you when you come home, no private shower to sing in. Luckily, this unfortunate situation has given you more time to enjoy those things. You now have more time to soak everything in, so make sure you take it.

I know you're sad because you might not get to go to prom or walk at graduation, but don't spend these weeks moping. Spend this time with the people you love doing the things you love because before you know it, you'll be packing up your bags and moving away.

The situation COVID-19 has put us in might not be ideal, but that doesn't make it bad. In a few years, you might actually be happy you got those few extra hugs from your mom or enough time to think about what college you wanted to go to.