To The Junior In High School From The Junior In College

We are one in the same.

331
Alex Jones

I am writing this to the person who is that position in high school where they are about to start making some pretty big decisions. Decisions that could potentially affect your future (well for the next four years or so). Junior year in high school can be very stressful, because people are constantly asking you what you want to do with your life and you are still trying to figure that out for yourself. However, I am here to tell you that even as a junior in college that I am still figuring it out as well. I might have a better idea of what I want to do, but it is far from a clear image.

Throughout high school, I knew that my ultimate goal was to go into medical school. However, that dream was challenged many times up to the point where I am today. I took all of the tough science classes in high school to prepare me for college courses, and their were times where I would walk out of class wondering if I should even continue down this path. It also didn't help to have some people in my class wondering why I wasn't getting a particular concept, and that it was so easy and that they didn't understand my struggle. Along with the struggle of classes, you face obligations to extracurriculars, volunteering, and being pulled in many different directions. So, it is very much okay to question yourself about what you are doing and if this is something that you want to pursue.

However, I am here to tell you to not give up on yourself so easily. If there is something that you really aspire to do, then go for it. If you don't know what you want to do, then that is totally fine as well! Many of my friends in college still are not sure about what they want to do once they graduate. However, they found classes they have found great interest in and they are looking for opportunities to pursue something that they are passionate about. For me, I came into Creighton as a Finance major on the Pre-medicine track. The pre-medicine track has not changed, however, my major definitely did. I had to take two accounting courses for my business core, and it turns out that it comes very easy to me and that I really enjoy learning about the language of business! With help from my professors and advisor, I became an accounting major!

So, don't worry if you don't have a major picked out. You will be surprised when you go to a class for the first time and you realize that you really find the subject interesting! College is all about exploring who you are and it gives you the freedom to do so, and this is something that is hard to do with courses in high school.

Along with deciding what you want to do and where you want to go to college, junior year is also the year of taking standardized tests (ex. ACT or SAT). Junior year in college is also a very similar situation if you plan to pursue further education. For me, that test is the MCAT. This semester has been very stressful because of all the studying I have been doing for the MCAT, and I remember being in the same situation while studying for the ACT. This test does NOT define how far you will go or how your first semester in college will turn out to be. I am a firm believer that standardized tests should not dictate all that they do, however, they are a way of equalizing everyone. Just remember to take a deep breath and relax! This test does not define you.

These are your last few years of high school, and be sure to enjoy them because once graduation day comes, you are done. However, be excited for the new opportunities that come with going to college. It really is a time to discover yourself, and find friends who support you for who you are and for who you want to be!