How We Shouldn't Spend Our Summer

How We Shouldn't Spend Our Summer

Instead of focusing on pain, anguish and negativity, let's do summer right.

12
How We Shouldn't Spend Our Summer
Tumblr

What a summer so far. Everyday -- something bad, something negative, something destructive and evil has happened. Every time I refresh my newsfeed on Facebook, there's a new tragedy. I'm not sure if it feels this way to anyone else, but it definitely feels that way to me. We've got two seemingly terrible presidential candidates, an astonishing sentence for a college-age rapist, a surprising murder of the sweet Christina Grimmie, the biggest mass shooting in the U.S. to date and even more that is difficult for me to even type. I've seen not one post, not one article about each of these topics, but possibly a thousand. Let's hope that we don't see any more articles of pain or anguish in this country or anywhere in this world. I'm just not sure how much more we can take.

But the truth? There will never be an end to evil in the world (until Jesus comes). Unfortunately, these events will continue to happen. We can't get rid the world of criminals or murderers or people who cause pain. We can't save all the innocent and good. There are too many people in the world and there are too many things that can influence a single person to have a certain thought or action.

But, I can tell you what we can do because there is always something we can do. Yes, it is important for everyone to be aware of the news and what is going on in the world. So share the news, the real news, and move on to something good in the world or help out with the bad. As of right now, all everyone is doing right now is reading, sharing, complaining and hurting until the next bad event happens. That's not a way to live this summer. That's not a way to live at all. In fact it's even proven to affect your health if you focus on the bad.

I have a lot of respect for those who are starting support pages such as the ones made for Christina Grimmie's Family and the families of those who we lost in the Orlando Shooting. For those who were truly effected by any of these events, they need the time to mourn and to heal. But those of us who are not deeply connected, we've got to focus on the good, support those who are healing and actually pray when we use #prayforsuchandsuch.

Let's stop talking about love. Let's put it into action. Let's live it out. Let's show it through our actions and through our thoughts. Do you respond better to someone who tells you they love you, or when they show you? I definitely respond better to love when people show me love and make it real.

So make love real. Make it happen. And there is no better time to do that than summertime.