So You Just Found Out Quarantine Is Kicking Your Ass? Let’s Have A Chat. :)

Don’t worry, life just kicks you in the ass sometimes. It builds character!

23

For reasons I will not disclose on the internet, I was unable to attend a semester of college my sophomore year. I could not take classes with my friends, spend as much time with my roommate, go to parties with my pals, or do any other fun college activities the average college student would do. Instead, I had to attend classes at a community college nearby as a visiting student until I could re-enroll at my previous university the next semester. While the community college I attended was a great school that offered a good education at a reasonable price with really cool people, I found it harder to settle there because I knew it was only going to last a semester, so it was going to end. On top of that, since all my friends were going to school 30 minutes away from me, it was very difficult for me to see them nearly as much as I had wanted to. Basically, my life looked and felt very different because I was forced to isolate myself from what I had previously known. Sound familiar? Assuming you are isolating yourself as much as possible like the good little citizens you are, life probably looks and feels a lot different for you, for better or for worse. If you have found yourself laughing at your own jokes way more often, having emotional breakdowns, feeling straight up confused, or doing any other new forms of self-expression, keep reading!

It gets better! Whether you have found yourself totally cool with isolation and enjoy the new time you have to spend with yourself or those around you, or whether you cried thirty minutes ago wondering if anything is ever going to change, I can assure you with time things will become way more clear and will probably get better. However, this will probably not happen as soon as you'd like and it will probably be harder than you'd like. Hey, nobody said isolation was easy.

The truth is, being with yourself or being with others can be hard. Nobody is perfect and when you are forced to spend excessive amounts of time with unperfect people, it starts to show. One day you might thoroughly enjoy isolation and honestly could not imagine yourself doing anything else, the next day you may find yourself asking, if not begging, for a change to take you out of your agitated, restless, or however you are feeling suffering. The point is the time you spend in quarantine may feel like a lot of up and down. However, the time you spend isolated will force you to reevaluate your life and the world around you.You will have no choice but to get to know yourself and those around you better and may even start to see things differently. You will be able to more easily distinguish what your boundaries are and even set new ones as you learn and grow. You will be able to think about how you want to be loved and how you want to love others. You will be given the opportunity to ask yourself who you want to be surrounded by when things get hard. My point is while quarantine may feel like garbage sometimes, you will have the opportunity to get more comfortable being yourself for yourself and for others. People need a person, not a people pleaser (if this does not make sense to you or even offends you, don't worry I'm gonna write an article about this real soon and there's a chance I don't mean what you think.)

If you are wondering what exactly you are supposed to do in the time in between, the answer is always up to you! My advice? Try doing things that make your life feel more meaningful and take comfort in the fact that you are not alone and we are all doing this together. If you feel like doing a nice thing for your mom because you want to be more helpful, do it! If you feel like going on a walk because you want to stay active and be more appreciative of nature, do it! If you want to lock yourself in your closet and cry excessively because you are unsure how you are feeling but know that it hurts, do it! Just do you! I mean, what else are you gonna do?

Quote of the week: "No matter what is unknown to you, a meaningful life is always available."

Signed: A Restless Rockstar!