5 Ways To Use Your White Privilege For Good

5 Ways To Use Your White Privilege For Good Instead Of Being Embarrassed Or Ashamed Of It

Stop being ashamed of your white privilege, and start using it to help those who don't have it.

2765

"White privilege refers to the societal privilege that benefits white people over non-white people in some societies."

Every time I get on the internet or turn on the news, it seems as if all I'm seeing is white on black violence and police brutality. For a long time I was ashamed of being white. I was embarrassed to be privileged because I thought having privilege or being privileged was synonymous with being racist.

However, I have come to learn that being privileged isn't something to be ashamed of -- as long as you're using it for good. It's of the utmost importance that white people start using their privilege to help our black brothers and sisters fight for equality.

Here are some ways you can use your privilege to benefit others.

Acknowledge your privilege.

Just because you are white doesn't mean you don't face struggles in life. However, your skin color is not a cause for the struggles you have. People of color are human and they have the same struggles as non-PoC. However, they face an entirely different set of problems that directly stem from the color of their skin. As a white person, you don't have to be afraid to live; people of color do.

The next time you walk into a store or gas station to use the restroom, acknowledge that if you were black, you could be harmed just based on that fact. The next time you go for a run or bird watch in the park, acknowledge that if you were black, you'd be fearing for your life. Most things you can do in public in peace are situations where a person of color could lose their life. The sooner you realize that your life is absolutely easier because of your skin color, the sooner you will be able to make a change.

SPEAK UP.

Don't just "not be racist", be actively anti-racist! If you see or hear someone being racist, confront them - especially if their racism is directed at someone. Don't be a bystander. Say something. And if need be, do something. Just because you're not being racist doesn't mean you're in the clear. If you just stand by and watch someone be racist, you are complicit in their actions and behavior. It can be dangerous for people of color to stand up for themselves, because the person harassing them may become violent. And in the eyes of the cops, defending yourself as a black person is a crime. No matter who started it or who did what, history has shown that the person of color is to blame in the eyes of the law.

Listen to People of Color.

Amplify the voices of people of color. Share their stories and spread awareness. In today's society, everything goes on social media, and that's how information is spread. Use your social media to help spread the stories of your black brothers and sisters. If you see something, share it, make it public, and demand justice. Make your account a safe space for PoC. Listen to them, share their stories, and actively fight racists.

Educate other white people on their privilege and how they can use it to help. 

Chances are, you probably know someone who is racist or doesn't believe in white privilege. If that's the case, then educate them. Yes, it will be uncomfortable, especially if it's family or friends, but it needs to be done. Black lives will always be more important than the comfort of white people. Do what you can to make them see what's right. Force them to acknowledge their privilege and how they contribute to racism and teach them how to change that. If they refuse to change, then cut them off. It doesn't matter who it is. If you allow racists in your life, then you are not creating a safe space in this world for PoC.

Protest, riot, and get involved!

If you know of an upcoming protest, rally, riot, etc., GO! Attend to not only raise awareness, but to protect PoC if need be. These occasions can get violent and dangerous for them. If cops don't want to shoot white people, then use that to your advantage and act as a human shield. Not everyone might want to do this but if you can, then please do.

In summation, white privilege is real and it can either be a problem that contributes to racism, or it can be part of the solution to ending racism. That choice is up to you, but if you really care about your fellow human beings, skin color should not matter. Do what is right and help make this world a safe place for EVERYBODY.