How to Text a Friend You Don't See Often

How to text friends over the summer without being weird

Stay calm and stay in touch.

954
Photo by Luke Porter (https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1486403184395-fc4990866136?ixlib=rb-0.3.5&q=85&fm=jpg&crop=entropy&cs=srgb&dl=luke-porter-203637-unsplash.jpg&s=bfc362d9d800a77f2315b54144494359)
https://images.unsplash.com/photo-1486403184395-fc4990866136?ixlib=rb-0.3.5&q=85&fm=jpg&crop=entropy&cs=srgb&dl=luke-porter-203637-unsplash.jpg&s=bfc362d9d800a77f2315b54144494359

You have to be a friend in order to have and keep friends, but the pressure of holding onto them can be intimidating and can produce anxiety. Maybe you feel awkward? Maybe you don't know what to say? No matter what you're thinking, it's completely normal.

Keep it simple with "Hello!"

"Hello!" from The Book of Mormon

i.gifer.com

Don't worry about building up a grand conversation because it might not end up lasting that long. A simple "hello" or "hi" will suffice for a starter.

Use memes to your advantage.

Memes create dreams. Memes are hilarious. Memes are a perfect kick-starter for talking to a friend. It eliminates all the initial awkwardness and gives both of you a good laugh.

Apologize for not texting them sooner.

Pride and Prejudice

media.giphy.com

Saying "sorry" can sound odd at first, but we all do this. This can be a normal, sympathetic approach to beginning a conversation. I recommend following this with asking them how they've been. It puts the spotlight on them and makes them feel special because you're prioritizing them.

If you go to school together, ask them about what they're hoping for next year or just vent about it.

Daria

media.giphy.com

School friends bond over being in the same place for a long, long time. It's a common ground for both parties and is relatable. Whether you talk about what just happened or what might happen in the future, it's an easy topic and can lead into more fun stuff.

Mention a funny story.

Juno

media.giphy.com

We all experience weirdness in life, so why not share it? Give them a laugh, give them a "personal meme" with a quick anecdote!

Don't drag something out too much.

Dog dragging

media.giphy.com

It might have been good material to start out, but keeping the same subject going for a while will be boring and cause the "yeah haha" to eventually appear, which usually signifies an end to a conversation (in my opinion). If the talk is dying down, you can either let it end on a high note or bring up another topic. Start something new by saying, "So..." or ask them a question, but nothing too serious.

Just have fun with it.

Friends3

rebloggy.com

Be their friend, and be yourself. They're your friend for one reason and that's you, so make sure you stay yourself and have fun with it!