How to Take Care of Diabetes Feet at Home

Diabetes can lead to health complications such as foot sores and non-healing wounds; however, you should always inspect your feet and deal with cuts before becoming a severe issue.

27

Diabetes causes extreme blood sugar fluctuations, which could be nerve-damaging. Nerve damage can reduce feeling in the feet, leading to injuries which progress into foot ulcers. Moreover, it restricts blood flow to the feet, making it hard for wounds to heal. You can embrace home care routines that prevent the advancement of foot injuries or seek medical attention from experts in diabetic foot care in Las Vegas, near you. Read on to learn how to care for the diabetic foot.

Home care routine for diabetes feet:

Inspect the Feet Regularly

It would be best to inspect your feet for burns, cuts, blisters, nail problems, and sores every night before going to bed. Some of the injuries might not be easily visible, and it could be wise to use a magnifying glass when inspecting the bottom of your feet. If you notice any changes on the feet like the bottom of yellow feetor any foreign object lodged on the feet, you could seek immediate medical attention

Bathe the Feet in Warm Water

Hot water can cause more damage to the feet, and it is wise to bathe the feet in lukewarm water. It would be best to keep the feet clean by washing with soap and warm water frequently to prevent opportunistic infections. Moreover, when bathing the feet, you should be gentle to avoid injuring the feet. You can use a sponge to scrub the feet gently and use a soft towel to pat the feet dry and the areas around the toes.

Moisturize the Feet

A moisturized diabetes foot might not crack or itch, which prevents leading to scratches and injuries. When moisturizing, ensure the bottom and upper parts of the feet are well moisturized. However, you should avoid moisturizing between the toes as excess moisture can result in fungal infection.

Cut the Nails Carefully

Do not let your nails grow long as it may lead to ingrown nails, which causes injury, bacterial and fungal infection on the feet. You should cut the nails across and file the edges, thus avoiding it from lodging into the soft skin on the sides of the toes. Moreover, cutting the nails too short causes ingrown toenails, which is a health hazard for people with diabetes.

Choose Your Socks Carefully

If you wear socks daily, it might be prudent to change them daily to avoid microbial growth, which causes foot infections. Moreover, there are socks made specifically for people with diabetes, and you should opt for these socks as they have extra cushioning and lack an elastic top, which exerts pressure on the feet. The socks are higher than the ankle and keep moisture away from your skin. Your feet should always be warm, and you should avoid stepping on cold floors or getting wet in winter. Moreover, if the feet are sweating excessively with the socks, you could use an antiperspirant.

Seek Medical Attention if You Develop Corns

Corns can be risky, and you should not perform bathroom surgery on yourself as your feet are at risk of serious health complications. See a doctor when you have calluses and corns as they would treat the condition effectively.

Conclusion

Diabetes foot care requires constant personal checkups on the feet and moisturization to prevent cracks that cause injuries. It is wise to have the feet checked by a doctor when you suspect any health complications. It is easy to keep your feet healthy if you adhere to positive foot care and control your sugar levels.