How To Survive The First 3 Weeks Of College

College can seem daunting, but be prepared and everything will work out fine

196
Jack Brown

College can seem like an extremely exciting yet daunting next step in life.Things may go wrong, but mishaps will be less likely if you are aware and prepared for anything that happens. All the more reason to read up and be extra prepared for anything difficult that is thrown at you. The following are just some important tips for surviving the first three weeks of college while having a real blast.

1. Don't lose your key

the office michael scott nooo nooooo horrible bosses GIF

If there's anything you don’t want to lose, it would be your dorm/room keys. I spent over two hours of my time the first two weeks of school waiting for my roommate to come and save me while I was locked out. Also, some schools offer lockout service for when you may need a spare key--although, they often come at a cost.

2. Bring shower sandals/flip flops

loop dexter shower GIF

Shower sandals/flipflops is a must for college life. Save yourself and your feet from the nasty things people leave behind in the shower drains, like hair...lots of hair.

3. Keep in touch with your family

homer simpson season 5 bart simpson marge simpson lisa simpson GIF

After the initial college move-in rush, homesickness will hit you at the most unexpected times. Don't be shy to let your family know that you miss them. It is easy to forget to check in with your family and let them know that you are alive and well.

4. Make friends and spend time with them

spongebob squarepants friends cartoon life spongebob GIF

You need to understand that unlike elementary, middle or even high school, it was easy to make friends and stay connected since you would all have classes together or designated breaks times. In college, everyone has a rather individualized and different schedule that can make it hard to stay in touch. Make an effort and schedule times where you can meet up or go eat a meal with your friends. Make time for the people that matter to you.

5. Get organized

my icons GIF

If you don't already, get yourself a calendar so that you can keep track of all your schoolwork and other activities. Personally, Google calendar is my go-to for imputing classes, work, extracurricular activities and so much more.

6. Treat yo'self

Yes, college is a lot of work and can often be overwhelming. Just make sure that you make time to do activities you enjoy or maybe just eat some ice cream and take a nap to recharge. You are more productive when you treat yo’self amongst the hectic college lifestyle.

7. Don't be afraid to ask questions

CBC funny comedy what humour GIF

Talk to your professors. They are there to help clarify your confusions on the materials taught in class. You will learn that your professors are not out to get you. As long as you are willing to ask, they are willing to offer the help you need. Also, get to know your RA, they are there to answer your questions about student life and anything else you may need guidance on.