How to Support a Friend Who’s Been Affected by Sexual Assault

Sexual assault is widespread on college campuses. Everyone should know how to seek help.

15

Anyone can become a victim of sexual assault. Unfortunately, it's far more common than people realize and can have long-term effects on a person's mental health and well-being. Furthermore, many well-meaning people have no idea how to provide support for a friend who has been sexually assaulted.

When the unimaginable happens, it's not always clear what you should do. Your friend may be struggling with depression, anxiety, or PTSD and may be feeling isolated and helpless. If you want to offer appropriate support, here's what you should know.

Understanding the Scope of Sexual Assault

Before you can offer support to a friend who has been assaulted, it's important to understand the staggering scope of sexual assault. A sexual assault occurs every 92 seconds, according to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN). The lasting harm that these crimes create can linger with victims for decades.

Although both men and women can be victims of sexual assault, women are far more likely to be targeted. Many women who have experienced sexual assault suffer from debilitating emotional aftereffects. They may struggle with mental health problems, live in fear of being attacked again, and have trouble enjoying daily life.

Framing the Issue

Although everyone is different, it may help to understand the emotional states commonly experienced by women who've been sexually assaulted. You can't know exactly what another person is going through, even if you've experienced trauma yourself, but you can provide empathy by trying to understand what your friend is going through.

Remember that victims are likely feeling a lot of fear and anxiety. When you've been attacked, you know that it could happen to anyone and you worry that it could happen to you again. Sadly, many women who have been sexually assaulted once are assaulted multiple times—especially if they come from a disadvantaged or vulnerable background.

When thinking about how to support your friend, understand that they may have PTSD, depression, and other mental illnesses due to the assault. They may be feeling guilty, angry, sad, or isolated. Nightmares, trust issues, and intense emotions can continue for months or even years after the initial assault.

Sexual Assault Is a Global Phenomenon

No matter who you are or where you live, you probably know someone who has been sexually assaulted. 35% of women have experienced domestic violence, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

We all need to take the issue very seriously and believe women who come forward with their stories. It is not easy for victims to talk about the trauma they have experienced and many never speak up because they fear retaliation, victim-blaming, mockery, or harassment. We need to change cultural expectations and help prevent women and girls from experiencing sexual trauma all over the world.

If you know someone who has been a victim of sexual assault, you can do even more than help on an individual level (though this is extremely important). Through advocacy, you can get involved and help bring awareness and change that is so desperately needed to reduce the number of assaults that take place every day.

Stepping in to Offer Support

Long after an assault, some women continue to experience feelings of anxiety. As a friend or loved one, you can do your part to make that person feel whole again by guiding them through the steps of healing. Remember that healing takes time and effort!

You can help a friend in many ways. Reaching out to listen and ask them what they need is the first step, as everyone reacts differently to sexual assault. Spend time with your friend and suggest healthy activities like going to yoga together, cooking dinner, or watching a funny movie.

Many women turn to drugs and alcohol after an assault, so as you support your friend, try to avoid situations involving substances. Reach out regularly to let your friend know you're thinking of them and want to support them during this difficult time.

If they're open to it, you might do some research on support groups, therapists, or other resources to help your friend heal. Everyone's process is different, and you have to be ready and willing to adapt to what your friend needs.

Sadly, many women are dismissed or even shunned by friends and family after an assault, which can make the problem even worse. Don't be the person that turns away from a friend in need, even though you may feel awkward and uncomfortable. Be patient and willing to listen—it's important not to make assumptions and to reassure your friend that you're there to help them in any way you can.