40 Things To Do Instead Of Checking Your Phone (Again)

Shut off your phone and start being more productive today.

53

In today's day and age, checking your phone nearly qualifies as a hobby of its own. According to a recent study, the average person checks his or her phone about 27 times a day. Today, Americans are opting to waste away hours at a time staring at their phone screens, time that could instead be used engaging in proactive habits. Now, that's not to say anyone is immune to this. I can't tell you how many times I've turned on my phone without a reason. How often do you find yourself in that same situation? Be honest.

Technology has reached such an advanced point in its development that sometimes we abuse it instead of using it to be productive. We turn on our phones to escape unpleasant thoughts or situations. We check Facebook instead of doing the dishes or the laundry. We update our statuses every time we do something even moderately interesting, because otherwise it didn't happen, right?

Wrong. Whether you only want to cut down on checking your phone or do a full social media cleanse, this article is for you. Here's a list of things for you to do rather than using your phone.

1. Go outside for some fresh air.

media.giphy.com

2. Do chores around the house.

media.giphy.com

3. Declutter, and sell or donate things that you no longer use.

media.giphy.com

4. Plan a vacation.

media.giphy.com

5. Research a concept that interests you and learn something new.

media.giphy.com

6. Pet an animal.

media.giphy.com

7. Visit a friend or a family member.

media.giphy.com

8. Watch the sun set or rise.

media.giphy.com

9. Learn to play an instrument.

media.giphy.com

10. Draw, color, or paint.

media.giphy.com

11. Exercise.

media.giphy.com

12. Listen to your favorite song(s).

media.giphy.com

13. Make a playlist for someone as a gift.

media.giphy.com

14. Write and mail a letter to someone you love.

media.giphy.com

15. Visit a library.

media.giphy.com

16. Call a friend to talk.

media.giphy.com

17. Take a drive or a walk.

media.giphy.com

18. Go out to eat by yourself.

media.giphy.com

19. Cook a meal.

media.giphy.com

20. Hydrate.

media.giphy.com

21. Tend to personal hygiene.

media.giphy.com

22. Paint your nails.

media.giphy.com

23. Crosswords, puzzles, and sudokus.

media.giphy.com

24. Try out meditation or yoga to clear your mind.

media.giphy.com

25. Play video games designed to improve cognitive ability.

media.giphy.com

26. Watch a documentary.

media.giphy.com

27. Rearrange or redecorate a room.

media.giphy.com

28. Read a book.

media.giphy.com

29. Journal your thoughts.

media.giphy.com

30. Teach yourself to knit, sew, or crochet.

media.giphy.com

31. Volunteer for a good cause.

media.giphy.com

32. Thank a teacher who made a difference in your life.

media.giphy.com

33. Record your finances and design a strict budgeting plan.

media.giphy.com

34. Make a list of short-term and long-term priorities.

media.giphy.com

35. String jewelry of your own with a bead kit.

media.giphy.com

36. Attend a social outing solo or with friends.

media.giphy.com

37. Create a bucket list.

media.giphy.com

38. If you're religious, pray for someone. If you're not, make an effort to learn about the ideology of religion.

thepostculture.files.wordpress.com

39. Nurture your pets or your children, because they won't be around forever.

media.giphy.com

40. Sit with your thoughts and just be. It's harder than it sounds, but it's good for you to practice being present in the moment.

media.tenor.co

After reading this article, I do hope that you find the motivation to refrain from checking your phone too frequently. Taking a break from social media can be good for the soul. Use any inspiration you found through these possibilities to go do something proactive. Now, put down your phone and hop to it!