How To Stick To Your New Year’s Resolution

Start the new year off right.

6

The struggle of trying to make a change in your life every new year hardly ever ends up being successful. Here are a few tips to help you actually stick to your promises in 2016:

Be Realistic

Just like you wouldn't expect to learn a language in a day, you can't expect yourself to lose a substantial amount of weight in just a few days. Whether you're looking to stop smoking, quit stressing, or save some money, perfection takes time, and that's OK; you've got a whole year.

Know Your Limits

Trying to volunteer more often, learn something new, and get more sleep all at once can turn out to be a drag -- trust me. Set one goal at a time and stick to it. If you see that you've mastered that first obstacle, then you'll know you're ready to add another objective.

Write It All Down

You might want to quit the first few months, so it's a great idea to take down the why to your resolution. What made you want to change this year? Thinking about this every day for a little bit will give you a sense of direction as to why you shouldn't quit. Write about every small accomplishment you make, whether it's a week of not smoking or a full week of working out. Over time, you'll start thinking "If I made it through one week, I can make it through another."

Get Help

From personal experience, friends and family are the best way to stay focused and motivated. They know what to say and how to say it to make you want to get out of bed at 5 a.m. for that morning workout. Let your close friends and family know what you're trying to accomplish throughout the year, and you'll want to pull through with your resolution.

Recover From Your Mistakes

Chances are you won't have enough willpower to go to the gym every day. You'll most likely break your diet in the first month out of force of habit. If we're being honest, you'll probably eat some chocolate the very second day of your diet. Don't worry too much about it, keep going at it and give yourself time to develop a habit.

Reward Yourself

At the end of the day, acknowledge yourself. You may have failed some times, but you're getting by. Stick to your resolutions and stay strong.