How To Survive Sorority Recruitment
Sororities

To The Girl Who's Worried About Rush: Sister, It's Really Not That Deep

You can do it, girly pop.

452
Party Rock Records

If I wanted to be formal I would use the word "recruitment," but rarely am I formal. I think I like the word "rush" better. Alright, so you're about to start college. That alone is a freaking lot to process. Moving away from home, basically living in a closet with another person, taking harder classes — it's a strange transition. On top of that, you think you have to try to impress the entire Greek society for a whole week.

I get that it seems like too much to handle, but you can totally do it.

The first thing to remember is that rush is not the most important thing in the world. When I was going through I definitely had to pull myself back to earth when I felt so stressed out about all of it. Stressing yourself out will only make you sweat and ruin your makeup. Not worth it. If you get the sorority you want, then it's great, but if you do not the world will go on. Don't let yourself get too worked up. Rush is not the end all be all of your college experience.

Once you level your head, focus on your outfits (lol). Your college will give you guidelines on what to wear each day, but my main tip is to be comfortable and stick to your style. For Pref Day I wanted to look extra boujee so I wore my Christian Louboutins that feel like a medieval torture device ( I knew that going into it…idiot). My feet swelled up like balloons and I hobbled in and out of each house. It was not a good look. Don't be obnoxious like I was, stick to comfort. Comfort can be cute!

As far as dresses, keep your boobs covered. This is not the time to whip out the bombshell bra. You want to look classy. If you sweat a lot like me, think about the colors you want to wear, or the types of fabric. Cotton is not your friend in the heat. Bring a fan with you and lots of blotting pads. Heck, bring a towel to wipe your back sweat. Do whatever you need to feel most confident going into each house.

Now let's pack your bag. I think most colleges allow you to bring a bag that you leave outside of each house. The "Rush bag" is your new best friend. Most important to remember is mints. You are about to be inches away from someone's face. If your breath is rank you will not leave a sweet impression. I had so many Altoids during rush I probably burned off some taste buds. Whatever, I have like a million other ones.

Next to bring is powder or whatever makeup you need to touch up. Blot between houses, refresh your lip-gloss, brush your hair — you want to look your best in each house. Fans are a big heck yeah to pack. I had at least two. Lastly, you want to bring a notebook and pen. After each house jot down what you thought about each house. You are going nonstop all day and can easily mix up Apple Pi and Sigma Strawberry.

Outfits are figured out, now let's talk about how to act when going into the houses. It's really easy. ACT NORMAL. Be yourself. If you go into a sorority and put on the attitude you think they are looking for, you get into that sorority as your fake self and then you're surrounded by girls who actually act like the front you were putting up. You will probably end up hating the sorority because you don't have anything in common with those girls. Everyone says this and it is honestly annoying, but it's true — you will end up where you belong.

If you open your bid on Bid Day and it is not what you wanted, don't be upset. You got a sorority! That's freaking hype. Go to that house with your best attitude and be excited. You will end up happy, you will find your friend group, you just have to be positive. Don't ruin your only Bid Day as a new member because you threw a pity party for yourself.

Joining a sorority was a great decision for me, but might not be for you. If you get through rush and decide it's not for you, then drop! It's all good. Not everyone likes Twizzlers so not everyone has to like sorority life. If you do end up loving it, soak up each minute. I'm about to be a junior and I cannot believe it. I have loved being in a sorority and it has so many benefits.

Lastly, don't let anyone persuade you about any sorority, don't follow stereotypes, and don't go somewhere just because your friend did. These are YOUR next four years. You need to be selfish rush week and decide what is best for you. Rush was honestly really fun and really easy to get through. You get to have fun conversations for a week — like come on that's nothing to stress about. I wish you the best of luck as you venture to a new chapter of life. Be yourself and everything else will fall into place!