How To Practice Self-Care

How To Practice Self-Care

Take time for yourself.
30

One big thing I've been struggling with this semester is self-care. I've been running around all day and night until I collapse instead of taking time in between things to relax. Between classes, work, homework and clubs, self-care slipped through the cracks. In the interest of getting better at self-care, I compiled a list of easy ways for all of us to practice self-care and improve our busy lives.

1. Listen to music.

This is an easy way to get yourself out of a negative mind set, as long as you're not listening to sad songs. I'm guilty of having a very depressing playlist, but I have a few songs that I know will turn my day around. Have a happy playlist on hand and listen to it when you're getting ready, when you're walking to class, and when you're in the car.

2. Take five.

Instead of rushing from one thing to another, take a five minute break. Scroll through your phone. Watch a YouTube video. Relax. Taking that extra time to decompress before starting something new will help improve your mood and will help you be more productive.

3. Sweat.

Go to the gym. Mark it in your schedule, put your headphones in, and forget about everything for thirty minutes while you sweat out the stress. This one is easier said than done, but you'll feel healthier and happier.

4. Dance.

Last semester, every time I would come back to my room I would put on a song and dance for the duration of it. I'm not a good dancer, but it helped me relax and feel more confident. Those three minutes made the stress fade away and freed my mind to focus on the next step.

5. Sing.

I'm not the best singer, but singing definitely relaxes me. Belting out notes can make you feel confident and can boost your mood. Turn up your Broadway songs, sing along to old music from your childhood, and rap your favorite part of that song you know by heart.

6. Meditate.

Meditation is really good for slowing your heart rate, clearing your mind, and living in the moment. It helps you let go of stress and worry. The only downside to meditation is if you're too tired, then you might just fall asleep.

7. Nap.

College students are notorious for not sleeping enough, so schedule a nap when you can. Remember not to sleep too long or too short or you will end up more tired than before.

Self-care is super important for living a happy, healthy life. If you keep pushing yourself without ever taking a break, you're more prone to break downs. The last thing you need as a busy college student is to end a long day by crying and questioning your life choices.