How To Protect Your Dog From The Summer Heat!

A list of ways to make sure you're keeping your dog healthy, hydrated, and happy!

10
Best of Picture

Hey everyone! I decided to write a short list of tips to protect your dog during the summer heat! Pets in general are very sensitive when it comes to the summer time and it is important to make sure they stay cool and happy! Though this article will focus mainly on dogs, some of these also apply to other pets, such as cats or birds! While it may seem a bit late into the summer season to be posting an article like this, keep in mind that hot days are frequent, especially in California! Though most people think summer is coming to an end, heat waves and scorching temperatures tend to last all the way until September. So, here are a few ways to keep your dog healthy and happy for those sunny days!

#1 Staying hydrated!

Because dogs have fewer sweat glands than humans, they tend to get a lot hotter than us. A dog’s primary way to cool down is to pant, which may not always be enough! It is very important to make sure your dog’s water bowl is filled with clean water and is easily accessible for them. Sometimes, it may take some coaxing to get your dog to drink some water, so be sure to keep an eye on them and make sure they’re getting enough! Though my dog may give me a dirty look when I nudge her towards her water bowl, I definitely feel better knowing that my dog is keeping cool and hydrated! Also, be sure to regularly clean out the water and pop in a few ice cubes so that your dogs’ water stays extra chill!

#2 Designate a “cool” spot for your dog!

It’s important to make sure your dog has a comfortable environment during these hot days! For my dog, we have middle bedroom that is usually the coolest room in the whole house. For that reason, my dog spends most of her time sleeping and resting in that room! Another tip to try and keep an area cool is to use ceiling fans or floor fans to keep cool air circulating. Some veterinarians recommend a type of cool mat for dogs to lie down on, so be sure to check those out! They are sold at most pet stores and are relatively inexpensive since they will last you for many summers. Using blackout curtains is also another way to make a room or house cool. Wherever you may have a “cool” spot for your dog, be sure to place their water bowl, treats, and favorite toys there as well.

While I recommend people keep their dogs indoors, I know some pet owners may keep their dogs outside. If that is the case, see if you can find/make a shady spot for your dog so that they have some sort of shelter to fight the heat. Also, it is crucial that their water bowl is checked and refilled often if it is outside.

#3 Keep in mind of peak times!

Nothing infuriates me more than seeing an irresponsible dog owner walking their dog during times of the day when it is especially hot! Try to walk your dog early in the morning or late evenings, but limit all exercise during the day. During the day, temperatures can reach past 90 degrees and cause serious injury to your dog! A good way to test if it’s too hot is to put your hand on the ground- if it’s too hot for you to place your hand there, then it is definitely too hot for your pet! Dog paws are very sensitive so be sure to keep that in mind when taking them out!

#4 Watch for signs of heat stroke!

Dogs may fall ill to the unbearable heat and may need urgent care. Heat stroke is quite common during the summer, so watch out for the warning signs! Some of these symptoms are: excessive thirst, difficulty breathing, difficulty walking, heavy panting, vomiting, and seizures. If you notice any of these signs, be sure to take your dog to a cool area and provide them with ample water. Also, pouring cool water on them may help. Be sure to take your pet to a veterinarian immediately to ensure they are well.

Your dog relies on you to watch over them, so be sure to keep them healthy, happy, and hydrated! I hope y’all enjoyed this article and let me know if you have any other suggestions or tips to keep dogs cool during the summer!