How to Maximize Your Time Abroad

How to Maximize Your Time Abroad

15
How to Maximize Your Time Abroad
1. See everything! You won’t regret an afternoon spent strolling through a museum or a breezing evening picnic in a park, but you will regret all the time spent sitting in your hostel or apartment. Get out and see something new! 

2.  Travel outside your home town.
 If you’re traveling for school, you will have the weekends off - go somewhere! Take a cheap flight or an overnight train and experience something different. Spend an afternoon bungee jumping in Interlaken, Switzerland or dance the night away in Berlin, Germany. Maybe a ferry to Morocco is in your future. There is so much life out there waiting to for you to find it!

3.  Budget, but don’t be afraid to spend it.
There’s a difference between budgeting and being cheap. Make a budget overestimating your expenses for the duration of your trip. Make sure to include: food, lodging, transportation, incidentals and personal expenses. These will vary depending on your destination, length of stay, and any additional travel you might do. Subtracting one fifth of your total budget, divide the remaining portion amongst the amount of days you will spend traveling. Use this as a guideline, not a bible. If you’re worried about spending too much money the entire time, you will miss out on so many experiences. Buy yourself souvenirs from your favorite places, taste everything they have to offer and then taste some more, drink too much and enjoy yourself because how many times are you going to be exactly where you are? 

4.  Leave room for spontaneity. Plan your travels, figure out where you want to go and when, but don’t plan all day every day - it eliminates the element of surprise. Of course, you want to see the major monuments, the best museums and the local events, but if you hear about a little bakery or a small market, take a detour. Also remember, while spontaneity is fun, it also tends to cost more. If you’re working on a budget but want to be really adventurous, go to a train station or airport with nothing but a carryon and your passport and buy the cheapest ticket out. All the best stories start that way.  

5. Take absolutely way too many photos. You will remember the highest points of your big adventures, but it’s the everyday laughs on a subway with your roommates or sitting in the common room of your hostel that you’ll love to remember. Memory cards can always be cleared, so take too many photos doing crazy things with strangers you meet along the way.