My Personal 5 Steps To Living A Successful Life

A guide for you in case your life feels wrong and out of control.

40
The Thought Changer

"So, how do you live your life?" one may ask. But it isn't a hard answer. Whatever age you might be, one thing is certain: it doesn't matter how you live your life, it matters with if it makes you happy and gives you a lasting perspective of the world around you, people included. But yeah, if you're lost and live life like someone who woke up on the wrong side of the bed, or someone who's lost in the pages of a novel, read my list. If you don't agree, it's fine. My list is just a suggestion. But if you do find some fun in my list, follow my example and write your own list. It's time for you to recognize your own worth.

1. Breathe.

I know this is really weird, and you may think, "We are breathing 24/7." But this is different. I don't mean breathe as in continuing to go about your day and doing what you usually do, I mean breathe as in taking a break from your daily routine. You don't want stress and fatigue to swallow you up, do you? So, inhale air through your nose and let air out through your mouth. Take a minute in your day to sit in front of the TV, relax on the couch, or even close your eyes to do this small breathing exercise. Remember that whatever is happening, a breath is worth everything.

2. Eat as much as possible.

Yep, eating. If you aren't a foodie like me, that's okay. If you absolutely hate eating, then that's perfectly okay too. But don't starve yourself, you won't benefit from that. Go outside every once in a while and enjoy the hot summer day. Or go outside to build a snowman. After that, you will find yourself either craving a cool splash of water, or a big meal. But instead of eating the food as if to finish, eat the food to relish. Because life without enjoyment is like breathing without content. Savor every bite, and maybe even take a picture and post it on Instagram.

3. Work hard, play hard.

If you are a student, you should be hearing this phrase every once in a while. And I believe it's very effective. Working for your future is something that is necessary, and I believe you can't really have a future without perspiration and a stable goal in mind. But there's always the alter ego of everything. Playing is also key. Working hard gets you nowhere without a relaxation period. And no, I don't mean playing recklessly, such as going out to drink after having a long day, or keeping your head tucked in front of a TV, computer screen, or any other sort of electronic device to keep you busy at all times with a "Do Not Disturb" sign outside your bedroom door. No, peeps. Playing hard is a goal too. Find something new to enjoy. Whether it's traveling to a different country, going to a street carnival, or involving yourself in hot-dog eating contests, learning something new every day, even if it's playing, gets the gears in your mind spinning.

4. Gossip.

I know a lot of people may disagree with me on this one, but I can tell you for a fact that I do gossip from time to time. And it doesn't give me any form of satisfaction. But it does give me one thing: a time to vent. As we go through life, we sometimes find ourselves in complex situations, whether a classmate brings you down, whether a parent disagrees with your ideas due to different culture and beliefs, whether a close friend wasn't what you thought they would be, whether you just feel like you just don't belong anywhere. Whatever the case may be, you may find yourself alone at home with paper in front of you, or you called over a friend to keep you company, or you found someone to listen. So, gossip. Just let it all out.

I do have to give you guys one piece of advice though. It's to gossip with the consent of others. What do I mean by that? I mean, when you're gossiping, keep in mind one thing: would you mind someone else talking about you in the same way you're talking about them? If not, change your style. If yes, then keep your style. Just know that in the long run, you really don't want to piss off somebody if your words reach to their ears.

5. Give back to others.

I would say this is the most important thing from the list. Unfortunately, this would be my last item. The first four items describe clearly what you should do for yourself, but something that matters to a lot of people is this item. For instance, your family. Your friends who sacrifice certain things to make you feel well. Your teachers/mentors/advisors, the ones who signed up to provide their guidance for you just to make you better. There might be more people I'm forgetting to mention, but the truth is here.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Be open to new people from different cultures and backgrounds, because you may never know who they are until you experience their company. Give the homeless person on the street of your neighborhood a dollar, not because you feel sorry for them, but because you know that they should also have people who believe in them. Donate to both public and private charities because they would need people like you to fight for the cause. Show the world you care by picking up trash on the street or sign petitions to fight for rights. Tweet things that show you support people. Help your family with the chores every once in a while. I could go on and on, but these are some of the things that you should do. You don't have to listen to me since this is the list I believe in, but from this list, you should get an example of your own list.

The most important thing is you only have one life and you have to live it. I'm bringing #YOLO back because it's true: "You Only Live Once."