How to Keep Your Dog Healthy This Fall

How to Keep Your Dog Healthy This Fall

Life without your furry friend simply is not the same. The day that your dog came into your home and became part of your family was probably one of the best days of your life.

33
How to Keep Your Dog Healthy

In fact, we wouldn't be surprised if your whole house is full of dog portraits!

Having a dog comes with many benefits. They are able to help increase your own mood, enhance your wellbeing, motivate you to get active and provides an unwavering friendship that is simply unmatched.

But dogs don't come with nine lives and their health is just as important as yours. When it comes to keeping your dog healthy going into Fall, you should have a game plan to ensure that they are able to feel great all season long.

From giving your dog proper nutrition to ensuring that they have the right medication and medical care, there are numerous ways to keep your dog healthy as Fall approaches. To help you keep your dog's health intact, we've rounded up our top tips of what you can do as a loving dog owner.

1. Feed Your Dog Nutritious Food

It is important that you do your due diligence in comparing dog food because not all are created equal. The best dog foods will help them keep a healthy weight and get a well-balanced diet underway. There are over 3,000 different types of dog foods to choose from and all are designed to help provide certain nutritional aspects. The best course of action is to chat with your veterinarian about the nutrition your dog needs specifically based on their breed, age and current weight. From there, you will have your checklist of requirements you need to find in dog food.

2. Get Your Dog Moving

Just like humans, it is so important for dogs to be active during the day. Regardless of their age, it will benefit them to work off their excess energy, get stronger joints and have fun outside. The type of exercise you can do with your dog is extensive, ranging from morning walks or runs to swims at the local lake or beach. Dogs need mental stimulation as much as humans do, so don't shy away from mixing up their weekly exercise routine so it remains fun for the both of you! Even consider playing catch or Frisbee with them—it will have both of you moving for hours on end. In general, the more your dog can move, the healthier they will be physically and mentally this Fall.

3. Give Your Dog Natural Medicine

Your dog will likely experience aches and pains just like us humans do as well, especially as the weather starts to get colder. Getting your dog pet cbd is a great way to support their overall wellness and is an effective way of enhancing their joint mobility, keeping them calm and boosting their brain function. Some of the most experienced veterinarians have discovered how CBD products can benefit dogs similarly to humans and formulated the perfect products for those with fur and paws.

4. Make Them Feel Spoiled

Dogs deserve to be spoiled this fall just like humans. There is no better way to make your dog feel truly loved this season than with a customized BarkBox. You will be able to theme it out with toys and treats created for dogs and with a simple subscription. Fall will likely become their favorite season with boxes turning up at your doorstep for them that are full of goodies dogs only dream of.

5. Take Them to the Veterinarian

One of the best ways to keep your dog healthy this Fall is to take a proactive approach to their health. That means that rather than wait until something goes wrong, you should take them in for wellness check-ups to the veterinarian so that any health-related issues can be caught and treated early on. Also, taking them in to get their vaccines is another great way to keep them healthy, especially when it comes to preventing things like flea-related diseases or heartworm. The veterinarian will also be able to help them with any dental hygiene issues that may be developing.

6. Go Get Them Groomed

Your dog deserves a day at the spa just like you do! This Fall, take them in for a pampering session at a dog salon, where they will get the full grooming treatment. This includes getting their nails clipped and filed, their hair washed and trimmed and their skin examined for any issues like dandruff or bald patches. Your dog will be loving life after their pampering session.

7. Let Them Play

Just because it is getting colder and the days are getting shorter does not mean you should limit your dog's socialization tie. Let them play with other dogs and learn how to interact with different breeds. It is great for their immune system to build up a better tolerance and a great chance for you to practice obedience skills with them. Plus, when dogs get to play with other dogs, they are getting more exercise time in as well. Playtime is one of the healthiest things you can give your dog, and they will love you for it!

8. Cuddle Up with Your Dog

Just like humans, dogs love to cuddle in the Fall. Plus, a great cuddle session will bode well for their mental health and your relationship with them. Even taking five or so minutes out of your day will go a long way in establishing emotional connections and bonds that give your dog a new zest for life. Plus, as an added bonus you will receive a ton of mental benefits to cuddling with your dog as well!

9. Watch Out for their Daily Behavior

No one knows your dog quite as you do. That is why it is important to monitor their daily behavior and take note of any strange quirks you notice. For example, consider if your dog is scratching themselves more than normal? Are they more lethargic than usual? Are they responding to the orders you give them? If something seems a bit off with your dog, it is always in the best interest of their health to play it safe and get them booked in for an appointment with the veterinarian. From there they will be able to diagnose anything that needs treatment or recommend medication to help your dog feel better.

10. Get Your Dog Microchipped

If your dog gets lost, it is impossible for you to look after their health and wellbeing. So this Fall, get your dog microchipped or at least a collar ID so that they can be more easily reunited with you. Dogs are some of the most curious creatures around, so it is no surprise if they get the urge to run off every now and then. But if they are microchipped, you will always be able to find them again much sooner and bring them back into the safety of your home.

With so many ways to keep your dog healthy this Fall, the two of you are sure to enjoy one of the most magical seasons during the year. From keeping up an exercise routine to comparing dog foods, what will you do to keep your dog healthy?