To Those Who Find Themselves Homeschooling: You Can Do This!

A few words from a homeschool alum.

21

The pandemic has taken hold of the land. The glorious halls of the US Capitol have been shuttered, grocery stores are deprived of food, medicine is in a shortage throughout the land-- and last and most importantly for you my dear reader, you are homeschooling.

Whether you are a public school teacher or a parent, you find yourself in a brand new situation you may not be used to. As a homeschool graduate I hope to enlighten you on some moments that made my homeschool experience growing up absolutely wonderful and hope this may be of help to you.

Read Stories

Books like Susan Wise Bauer's Story of the World are great for Middle School age and below (even as an adult I love them!) These history books were written in story format and covered the history of every region of the world- Europe, the Americas, Asia, Oceania and Africa all had their grand stories told. They were captivating and told the stories of a wide range of people groups. Diana Warings' history audio stories are perfect also for any age group. For older kids read novels and discuss them. Reading stories is a great way to help your school day move along.

Go Outside!

Sit and read under a tree, go for a run around the block for P.E, get some sunshine! These are great ways to keep moving and learning.

Listen to Music- in other languages

What better way to listen to another language than hearing it? If your kids are studying Spanish in school now is not the time to stop learning- turn on youtube and listen to folk music from Spain and Latin America. Turn on some French cartoons to keep up your kid's French activities. Learning a language does not stop just because you are not in a school building. When you go back to school, your kids will be able to share fun stories they heard about the languages they are learning.

What are your kids interested in?

Do you kids want to know more about the Vikings? Are Biology lessons just so cool that your kids want to look at bugs under a microscope? Do your kids want to keep looking at pictures of Peruvian animals? Now is the time to know your kids interest and let them grow! Do they want to know more about politics? Make them "President for a Day" and reenact a presidential campaign for them. For history- don't be afraid to put on some makeshift costumes and put on a little history show- they can be a viking chief, a medieval princess, or a revolutionary- anywhere your imagination takes them. For science look up cool experiments and see if you can do any of them in your own house. Let me know what you land up doing!

Some of the best moments of my homeschool life growing up was having an interactive world globe, going to cultural events with friends of other cultures and getting that hands-on experience, joining model US Government kids groups (thank you Generation Joshua!) and reading Locke and Rousseau because the Founding Fathers did ;)

Reach Out!

Homeschoolers are all around you, feel free to ask questions through messaging or a video chat! :D Just remember to keep social distancing and have fun!