How To Have The Perfect Summer

How To Have The Perfect Summer

16

Although the glorious one week vacation that we call spring break has come and gone, summer is only a few short weeks away. But then again, this only gives us a certain number of days to prepare for what is arguably the best time of the year.

Now that we are considered “adults,” our summers tend to revolve around grown-up plans. We are expected to have internships, take classes, go to work daily and basically be just as busy as we were during the school year.

But for right now, let us just forget about those things. Summer is also a time for relaxation, having fun and looking good. So to help start it off right, here some tips to get ready for summer 2014:

1. Stay fit
Do not throw away that spring break body! You worked hard for it and deserve to show it off one more time. And for those who wish they had worked on their beach body before, it is never too late to start.

Working out at the ARC and taking fitness classes such as Zumba, Yoga, BODYCOMBAT and BODYJAM will definitely tone your body to make you look great in that new bathing suit. Also by doing sets of simple exercises at home, such as jogging, squats, mountain climbers, push-ups, V-sits and planks, you will be on your way to feeling slim and confident on the beach.

2. Eat right
Another part to maintaining or creating your perfect summer body is making sure to eat healthful foods. Treating yourself to a cupcake once in a while is certainly okay, but make sure to focus on fruits, vegetables, protein and whole-wheat bread products. An example of a healthy, summer-ready meal provided by Good Housekeeping in the article “Slim Down (a lot) for Summer” is a chicken salad with pears, Triscuits and a glass of orange juice mixed with seltzer. (Find the recipe and other meals here: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-plans/summer-slimdown-diet-plan-3)

3. Go shopping
We could all use some new summer clothes, am I right? Girls, make sure to have bikinis, sundresses, shorts, tank-tops, nice blouses and skirts that fit right and complement your body. Guys, check to see that you have bathing suits, shorts, tank-tops, polos and T-shirts that are fresh, clean and are the right size. For both men and women, having a pair of good (and trendy) sunglasses and sandals are always a must as well.

4. Plan day trips
It may be a little early to plan these now, but it is always something to keep in mind. Whether it is on a weekend or you decide to take a day off of work, make sure to plan day trips with your friends to actually have some fun. Go for a shopping spree in Chicago, visit the exotic animals at the St. Louis Zoo, go on rides at Six Flags or go see a Cardinals game at Busch Stadium. If you are looking for a place to cool down with friends, take a trip to Wisconsin Dells, Indiana’s Holiday World Water Park or check out the Chicago beaches.

5. Power through classes
Although summer is around the corner, we still have responsibilities and assignments coming up for the next few weeks of classes. Make a checklist of deadlines for papers and projects, and write down exam times and dates so you can study in advance. The warm weather and spring fever can be a distraction from schoolwork, but study up, work hard and pull through so you can start summer off with a smile.

By following these tips, you will start off your summer happy, stylish, fit and ready for adventures. Summer is a time to de-stress from the tough school year you are trying to leave behind you. Don’t let your internship, job or classes take away your much needed break. Soak up the sunshine, and let summer 2014 be your best summer yet.