The Best Ways To Give Back This Season
Life Stages

The Best Ways To Give Back This Holiday Season

Tis' the season to be giving!

190
Casey Clarke

Many of the recent and upcoming holidays are about giving. You give candy on Halloween, thanks on Thanksgiving, and gifts on Christmas. However, during this time, you should also try to give back. Not only does giving back allow you to help others and make their holiday season a little brighter, but it can also make your day better and possibly strengthen bonds you have with others. Every time that I volunteer or donate a gift around Christmas, it makes me so much happier. If I happen to be volunteering with a group of people, I end up growing closer with them as well. There are so many options to help others this holiday season, so here is a list of some amazing opportunities that you can take advantage of to give back to others and the community.

1. Donate a gift

Casey Clarke

You probably give gifts to your family and friends, so why not give gifts to people in need? Giving them to a hospital or specific organization is wonderful and simple ways to donate gifts. Look around your local area and stores to see if there is a donation box nearby. If not, do some online research and see where you can drop one off. Last Christmas, I made and donated a gift basket to the University of Virginia Children's Hospital. By calling the hospital, I was able to determine which gifts would be good to purchase and gathered a basket full of toys, books, and gift cards. A few days later, I visited the hospital and gave the gifts to the volunteer center to be given out at Christmas. To my surprise, I received a letter a few weeks later thanking me for the donation and saying that the children loved the gifts and had a wonderful Christmas. Just knowing that the children had a great holiday despite being away from home made me so happy and has inspired me to try to donate gifts every year.

2. Don't just donate gifts, donate supplies

Facebook - Ronald McDonald House of Cville

If you decide not to donate a gift, or if you are feeling extra generous and wish to do more, donate supplies to organizations. Many non-profits are in need of donations of basic necessities that they quickly go through. Also, many animal shelters are in constant need of donations of food, treats, and bedding. If you are having trouble finding wishlists, look on Facebook or other social media websites under #wishlistwednesday. Many of these supplies are relatively inexpensive and are easy to find. No matter what the item is, it will be greatly appreciated by the organization and people (or animals) it supports.

3. Donate to charity

Heifer International

Instead of asking Santa entirely for gifts this season, ask him for a donation. Have a donation as one of the Christmas gifts that you would like, which, in my personal belief, makes you more inclined to donate or have someone else donate in your name. The internet makes it easier than ever to donate to the charity of your choice, just go to the organization's website! Also, Facebook now has a tool that allows you to ask your Facebook friends for donations, which may encourage them to donate to your specified cause. Overall, it is a simple and quick way to help a group that you support. Before you decide on which charity to help, it may be beneficial to research different charities to see their mission and where your donation will go.

4. Amazon Smile

Amazon Smile

One of the most popular shopping websites definitely has to be Amazon, and the website sees more and more online shoppers around Christmas. So, if you happen to be buying gifts on Amazon this holiday season, go on its partner website, Amazon Smile. This website has the same products and prices as the Amazon you know and love; the only difference between the two is that Amazon Smile gives back. For each item that you purchase, a portion of your sale goes toward the charity or organization of your choice. So, while you are shopping on Amazon for the perfect gift, be sure to go onto Amazon Smile and help donate to a group that you love.

5. Serve and donate food

Blue Ridge Area Food Bank

While many people want to give money or toys, one crucial donation is food. For families that cannot spend much money on food, the breakfasts and lunches supplied by the school are the only daily sources of nutrition for the children. When school is off for its two week long winter break, that means that there are roughly two weeks until those children receive an adequate amount of food and nutrition. One of the best ways to combat this lack of food for both children and their parents is to donate food. Do some online research to see where your local food banks are and what they might need. Also, if you can not donate food or want to do more involving food, volunteer to serve food at your local soup kitchen or homeless shelter.

6. Volunteer with local organizations

Casey Clarke

If you would rather not spend money to give back, you can always volunteer at different organizations and non-profits! Some local groups may also be focused on Christmas. Last year, I volunteered with Mason's Toy Box, a non-profit that provides gifts to children in hospitals in the Charlottesville and Richmond areas. I collected donation boxes from businesses around the area and dropped them off at the group's headquarters. While I was not able to do much, I knew that even my small contribution helped the organization. Even if there is not a group like Mason's Toy Box near you, plenty of organizations desperately need volunteers, so it is a great way to spend time during the busy holiday season.

7. Visit a nursing home

YouTube

Almost everyone knows the words to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town," so why not sing that to others? Going to a nursing home and doing something simple (like singing Christmas carols)can make a huge impact on a resident. Some residents do not have any visitors, even during the holiday season, so having someone come and talk to them makes their day. Going with friends or a club makes it an even greater experience. A few years ago, I went and sang Christmas carols with my student government class at a local nursing home. Not only did it make the residents so happy, but it also helped me bond more with my friends and other classmates! Just be sure to contact the nursing home that you want to visit to determine what date and time work best.

9. Spread kindness

Gif Image

The easiest and best way to give back is to just spread kindness to those around you. Pay it forward and start a cycle of kind actions and giving. Being kind to one another takes little to no effort to do, but can make a huge impact on someone's day.

Giving back is one of the greatest things that you can do to spread holiday joy this season. Whether you do something big or small, everything that you do makes a large impact on those who are receiving your support. So, instead of just receiving this holiday season, be sure to give back and help others.