losing not only a pet, but my best friend

Losing a pet is the hardest thing you could get over, memories with them keep them alive.

29
Carlie McPherson

Growing up, I've always had a love for animals, especially dogs. Dogs always have something that I can't explain, they tug at your heart like no other. It's when they give you that look that melts your heart, how they come to you when you're upset and somehow you feel ten times better than you thought you would.

Our second dog was the one who stole our hearts, mine for sure. He was a Cocker Spaniel, black and definitely the sweetest dog! He was our neighbors, we were always at her house everyday after school. We would play with him and help watch her other dogs too.

The thing about him was that he would always be at our house,. Every time he ran away, he would be found in our living room, playing with me. Then, one night, my mom was asked if we wanted Jack (his given name). We didn't even hesitate to say yes. The night we brought him into our lives permanently, we were dog-sitting two other dogs, introducing them all didn't go smoothly at first. But once he was apart of our family and was at home, it was a breeze. Jack became Zack.

For years Zack was a member of our family. I couldn't believe that a dog was capable of stealing my heart the way he did. He was the best dog and my best friend. He followed me everywhere I went. If I left the room while he was laying down, he would get up and follow me or meet me in my room. I loved him! Still do...

He loved being outside, but we had to be with him. If he was out alone and we were inside he would bark until we came to the door and he was able to see us. He loved being with us at all times. If we had a fire outside he would just come, lay down and just stay there. He wouldn't try to leave as long as I was out there.

The best part about owning a dog is having an animal who isn't just your dog, they're apart of your family for life. They become your best friend. Zack was always there. I told him all my secrets and anything really. Yes, I did talk to him, don't act like you don't talk to your pets because I know you do, we all do it.

As the time came close to when he was getting older and time for him to go, I was terrified. I was so scared that I'd come home from school, work, or from dancing to find him not there to greet me at the door. So, one night I told him that he wasn't allowed to leave without me being able to say goodbye.

I guess you can say he listened. He was alive for one more winter after the talk. He made it through half the summer. He was able to enjoy the snow and be outside in the summer to enjoy the beauty one last time. He was having trouble standing up and walking, he wasn't eating as much. The only time he would be fine walking was when he was outside, it was his favorite place to be.

Then, the day I was dreading so much for so long finally came. August 8, 2016 was the day that will always hurt me. I know weird to say right? It was the last day I would be with my best friend.

I was home alone, I had work later that night so my mom was on her way home to take me. I noticed Zack wasn't getting up, so I said, "Let's go outside." I picked him up and took him outside and he still wouldn't get up. I knew what this meant, but I didn't want to admit it. I then took him back inside and put him near his food to see if he would eat. Nothing.

I brought him into the living room, laid him by my feet as I sat at the computer chair as I waited for my mom. I then finished getting ready for work and then I talked to Zack. I told him… "Look, I know I told you a few months ago that you weren't allowed to go until I was able to say goodbye. So, now I'm giving you permission to go if it's your time. I will miss you and know I love you. So if today is your day, then you can go." i gave him a hug then continued to wait for my mom to get home..

While at work I tried so hard not to cry, even though I wanted to so badly (luckily I had to cut the onions so I was able to cry a bit). I knew that I was no longer coming home to be greeted by my best friend. I kept myself busy at work, as much as i could anyway. Let's just say, that it was the longest 7 hours of my life.

Later that night my mom came to pick me up. As we drove I was about to tell her about my night, like I always have. She stopped me before I could get a word in. She said, "Before you tell me anything, I have to tell you something." As I looked out the window I braced myself, then I turned to her and said, "Okay?"

She proceeded to tell me that she took Zack to be put down. I said, "I know." She looked at me confused and continued…

"After I brought you to work, I went back home and I put Zack in the car. I took him to the vet to have him put down." She also asked me how I knew, I told her that I knew because I told him he could go if it was his time.

I told her and my sister I was going in the shower, I just sat there and cried.

Everyday I miss him. He was my best friend. The winter is often the hardest. He loved playing in the snow, as well as eat the snow. Whenever I see the snow I see him running through it. Playing around and eating it, he was always covered in snow when he could go outside.

Having an animal, cat or dog, is the greatest feeling. You create memories that you hold in your heart forever, even after they leave you. Everyone who has had an animal pass, they never truly leave you. I know for myself, Zack will always be with me in my heart and through the memories that we shared through the years. I will always love him and if or when i get another dog it'll be hard. It'll be hard not to compare them to him.

The pain of losing a loved one never goes away, cherish your fur babies before it's too late.