How To Get Back At Colleges That Rejected You

Angry emails are NOT the answer.

105

So, college decisions have been in for a while. And, well, some of us aren't feeling too hot.

April is one of the most stressful months because it's a month that requires much decision making. May 1st is the universal deadline for a student to make their deposit (and decision!) to save a spot at a certain college and join the entering class, and all the acceptances and rejections are in by April 1st at the latest--unless you've been wait-listed, which makes the whole situation even more tension-filled--so us high school seniors have a month to ourselves to stew with the whole decisions process (all over again!). I mean, it's no cakewalk. Now that the colleges have made their decisions, it's time for us to make ours--where will be the perfect place for us to spend the next four years of our lives?

Some of us make plans waaaaay in advance. We get those perfect test scores, collect straight-As like trophies, and fund a non-profit for safe measure. But sometimes, all of our Herculean efforts are just not enough.

Sometimes, the vision doesn't pull through. The fail-safe method fails us, and we're faced with the least expected, the most shocking of all outcomes: a glaring rejection letter.

A lot of people handle this in different ways. Some people record their rejections and post them on YouTube; the epitome of a good-natured acceptance of the events presented. These people laugh and clap themselves on the back for a effort well-heeded. But then there are the others: the bitter people take to keyboard and spew hatred and loathing of these schools on Facebook groups, (the infamous) College Confidential website, and even various op-eds! One girl a couple of years back, after being rejected by schools like Yale and Vanderbilt, took to her sorrow and launched into a bitter op-ed she posted via The Washington Post. "Colleges lied to me," she claimed.

If her writing wasn't so condescending--and even slightly offensive--I would've referenced it more here, but alas...nonetheless, that one sentiment of hers is shared by thousands of students across the country. Colleges did lie to some, in the sense that they couldn't accept every student who had a perfect application, but in this world and age, it just can't be helped--there's just not enough room in the world for all of us. While the college acceptances process is something not totally in our control, something else is: how we get back at these schools for rejecting us.

First, understand that college decisions do not reflect your skill and talent as an individual person. Just because one person made it to an Ivy doesn't necessarily mean they're better than a person who attends a state school--many factors go into college admissions, and MONEY is a big part of it, as well. Believe me, many people who wind up at Ivies only do so because of their parents' donations--so keep that in mind! At the end of the day, you are still you, and no college acceptance or rejection can change that.

You are still you; but you can still make yourself better. That's why I firmly believe that the best way to get back at those colleges, at the end of the day, is to be successful somewhere else. Oh, that Ivy didn't take you in? That's quite a shame, because they're missing out on a future NY Times Best-Selling author. Or a Nobel Prize winning ecologist. Or a brilliant Fulbright Scholar. At the end of the day, your success at another school makes a previous college rejection not your loss, but their loss. And man, success sure is sweet on its own, but the envy makes it divine.

So, power off that laptop, and wipe away those tears. I know it's hard, but you don't have time for sadness. Right now, you have work to do, and your road-map to success begins now. Success starts today.