How to Explore Rome With Ease

How to Explore Rome With Ease

Home to some of the oldest and most historic architecture, monuments, and works of art, visiting the Eternal City needs to be on your travel bucket list

994
How to Explore Rome With Ease

Home to some of the oldest and most historic architecture, monuments, and works of art, visiting the Eternal City needs to be on your travel bucket list. As the capital of Italy, Rome is full of new things to see, eat, and experience. With so many incredibly famous spots, deciding on an itinerary for a short trip can feel overwhelming, but exploring the city can be an easier experience than you’d think.

If you’re just passing through and don’t plan to stay multiple days, there are some experiences you don’t want to pass up. Rather than dragging your bags around with you, you can take advantage of the great luggage storage Rome has to offer, allowing you to get the most out of your day in Rome.

Get an Early Start

Starting your day nice and early is the best way to make sure you can visit all of the places on your itinerary. Having a short day in the city can be a challenge, but you can do it if you plan well. The best way to get around Rome is on foot, although there are several options available if you need transportation. The public transit system in Rome includes busses, taxis, and the metro.

Get a Tour Guide

If you’ve never been to Rome before and you’re not sure where to go, you always have the option to hire a tour guide. This can be an expensive luxury, but what better way to experience a new city than to have a local take you around to the best places?

Must-See Spots

Whether you’re planning your day by yourself or you’re taking advantage of having a tour guide, these are some of the must-see places in Rome.

Vatican Museums

If you want to avoid the long lines at the Vatican Museums, your best bet is to book a tour nice and early in the morning. Scheduling this tour also ensures you’re able to visit St. Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel as well.

Spanish Steps

The Spanish Steps are situated in front of one of the most famous streets in the world, Via Condotti. Nestled in one of the most breathtaking neighborhoods in the city, this is an area that is home to some of the fanciest couture brands in the world.

Trevi Fountain

After departing the Spanish Steps, you’re just a short walk away from the Trevi Fountain. According to tradition, visitors that throw a coin into the fountain are guaranteed to return to this ancient city. After making a wish, you may want to visit one of the many little nearby cafes to enjoy a cup of coffee or a scoop (or few) of gelato.

Pantheon

Just a 5-minute walk away from the Trevi Fountain, a great place to visit next is the Pantheon. Featuring the tombs of King Victor Emanuel II and Raphael, this is a building that is rich with history. Commissioned in the 2nd century A.D. by Emperor Hadrian, this is one of the best-preserved structures in the city.

Piazza Navona

The Piazza Navona replaced the Stadio di Domiziano in the 15th century and is now the home to the Fountain of the Four Rivers and the 17th-century Baroque church of Sant’Agnese. This historical location features beautiful architecture and great views.

Colosseum

As one of the most iconic sights in the city, the Colosseum generally has long lines to get in. If you want to see this monument without having to waste a bunch of time in line, you can book a guided tour or buy your tickets in advance online.

Aperitivo and Tiber Island

Ponte Fabricio is the oldest functional footbridge in Rome. A short walk across this bridge allows you to enjoy the awe-inspiring views of the Tiber river. During the summer, this area has events right down by the river.

World-Class Dining

Walking around the city all day will work up an appetite. Whether you’re looking to grab a bite to eat for lunch, dinner, or both, there are several amazing restaurants you can get a meal at. Some people want to go to the most famous restaurants in Rome, while others prefer to find the little eateries that the locals prefer. Either way, you’re in for a treat.

Conclusion

When it comes to visiting Rome, you are sure to have a trip that is full of new experiences. This is a city that is not short on things to do. Even better, Rome is easy to get around on foot, so you can save a lot on transportation costs. From historical monuments to authentic Italian cuisine, Rome is a must-visit city.