How To Disinfect Your Phone: Pandemic Edition

Your phone can attract more germs than you may want to think about. Here are six tips to disinfect your phone regularly.

237

In 2020, our lives as we knew them changed. Fearing for what we did not know much about, the dreaded COVID-19 made us change how we live our lives dramatically. Most importantly, it taught us that sanitization is one of the most essential aspects of lowering the risk of getting the novel coronavirus and other potentially deadly viruses.

Over the years, smartphones have become more popular. According to one recent study, we touch our phones around 2,617 times a day! With COVID-19 in mind, that's 2,617 times you are likely to transfer germs to your phone (or someone else's) without realizing it. So how do we go about making sure our phones are clean enough from the thousands of germs and other bacteria we put on them by the minute?

Here are six tips on how to disinfect your phone during a pandemic.

1. Unplug Your Device

This seems like an obvious one, but when you're disinfecting so often, it can become like second nature and you may forget something as simple as unplugging your device when you disinfect it. Liquid can seep into any device or outlet your phone is plugged into and damage it.

2. Using a Disinfectant

It's essential to make sure you are using a disinfectant that will not damage your phone. Apple has updated its support page to recommend using 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes to wipe your phone clean. They also advise not to spray any disinfectant directly onto your phone, as this could run into the openings and damage your phone internally.

3. Use an Appropriate Cloth

Using a microfiber cloth is the safest way to clean your phone and protect it at the same time. The bonus about microfiber cloths is that they are washable, reusable, and soft, which allows you to protect your phone while cleaning it. Avoid using materials such as paper towels and other abrasive cloths that could end up scratching your phone.

4. Antimicrobial Screen Protection

Having an antimicrobial screen protector is a fantastic new trend to keep your phone free from germs and stains. Of course, you may be asking yourself what the word "antimicrobial" means, and you're not alone.

Antimicrobial products inhibit the growth and spread of microorganisms, which is vital during the COVID-19 pandemic. The best news is that, while these protectors are fighting germs, they're also impact-resistant to protect your device screen in case of an accident.

5. Get a UV Phone Sanitizer Box

You read that right! There are actual UV phone sanitizer devices that you can now buy to sanitize your phone for you.

Not only do these UV phone sanitizer boxes offer an extra layer of protection against viruses and other microbes, but they also disinfect your phone by using ultraviolet light, killing up to 99.9% of germs. There are also different "pro" versions that can disinfect your tablet and other household items.

6. What to Avoid When Disinfecting Your Phone

It's great to know what works to disinfect your phone, but it's also important to know what to avoid when you start the cleaning process. Here are some tips:

• Stay away from directly spraying disinfectant on your phone.
  • Do not use hand sanitizer.
  • Avoid excessive wiping.
  • Do not use bleach or aerosol sprays.
  • Although most phones are water-resistant, do not run them under a tap.

Protect Yourself Against COVID-19 and Keep Your Device Clean!

As you can already see, it would be almost impossible to sanitize your phone each time you pick it up or touch it. Therefore, sanitizing it once a day could do wonders in keeping your phone clean from germs and bacteria, especially during a global pandemic. You may also come across other people touching your phone or coughing and sneezing near you, which during this time makes it even more crucial to sanitize regularly.