5 Ways To Declutter Your Life If You're Feeling Overwhelmed

Minimize your stress by throwing out what you no longer need or want.

23
Personal Photo

Sometimes, there are little aspects of life that contribute to the feeling of being overwhelmed and one of these overlooked aspects is unnoticed clutter. If you have ever felt like you are too disorganized or simply want to declutter your personal space, take the step towards minimalism and the mental benefits will raise your spirits and decrease your stress.

1. Phone. 

The one object you undoubtedly use every single day is your cell phone and sometimes a digital clutter may go unnoticed but the first step to de-stressing your life is decluttering the objects that you are accustomed to using the most. It is important to go through your contacts, applications, emails, and pictures to delete anything that brings you bad energy or that goes untouched on your phone. Removing items that you have grown out of on your phone is a vital step to decluttering your life in order to prevent being reminded of ideas or wasted space on the device that you use multiple times a day.

2. Closet. 

Although a messy closet seems trivial to your stresses or mental health, having a more organized space to get ready in will help shorten your outfit preparation every day while giving you a better perception of your style and material items. The best place to start is by evaluating your wardrobe and determining the pieces you have grown out of and then organizing the remaining clothes in an orderly and easily accessible fashion. Decluttering and rearranging your closet will allow you to get ready every day in a peaceful and organized environment which will start your mornings off on the right foot.

3. Desk. 

Whether you have a personal desk or space where you prefer to get work done, it is important to keep the location, where you strain your mind the most, clean and orderly. Consider removing every item from your desk space, evaluating their use to you in that space and deciding what is necessary to keep before re-organizing those items in a practical place. Having a clean and orderly desk space will provide you with a neater setting to get work done which will ultimately allow you to focus more efficiently without the extra clutter.

4. Miscellaneous items. 

In every room or dwelling, there are many storage compartments such as drawers or cabinets that might be filled with unnecessary items that you no longer need in your life. Begin by examining the items in each of these storage compartments to assess their value and benefits in order to decide whether to keep them, donate them, or toss them out. Once you have separated the items you will keep, you can designate them into relational categories in order to re-pack them in an organized and understandable manner. Decluttering your miscellaneous items will allow you to easily recognize the things you own and where they are placed in relation to everything else in your personal space. Although no one can directly see the neat and organized fashion of your miscellaneous items, you will have an increased sense of tranquility surrounding everything you are attached to.

5. Your personal space. 

Your personal space should be the most peaceful location in your dwelling because you grow to internalize the energy and vibe your space emits. If you have a messy or cluttered room, you will begin to feel the same way throughout your day to day experiences. It is important to consider your unique preferences concerning how your personal space looks, feels and, most importantly, what it contains. Once you create a vision of what your personal space should look like, begin to remove any items or arrangements that fail to promote your desires. By clearing out unnecessary components and re-organizing your space to mirror an ambiance that you want to experience every day, your mental dispositions will slowly begin to change in a positive way.

In order to start alleviating your internal stresses, you must declutter your personal spaces and items in order to move forward with a clear mindset. If you are considering becoming more organized, make sure to begin with everything that you interact with on a daily basis in order to establish neat and orderly surroundings that will help you achieve a greater sense of peace.