Talking About Doubt As A Christian

Talking About Doubt As A Christian

Having a brave and confident faith.

121
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/Caravaggio_Doubting_Thomas.jpg

Doubts in the Christian life can come in a wide variety. There are intellectual doubts (lacking confidence in the historical reliability of Scripture, skepticism regarding certain doctrines of the faith), emotional doubts (lack of trust in God because of emotional wounds from others, questioning God's goodness because of suffering/unanswered prayers), and doubts regarding decision-making (lacking confidence in taking a step forward because of unanswered questions).

Before I delve into some of the nitty gritty details, let me preface a few things as I always do with most of my articles. First, I do not claim to be speaking as an authority on these issues because my thoughts are not based on any particular research or from reading lots of literature on it. I am a layman who cares very deeply about this.

Second, I hope that you do not stop looking into doubts for yourself after reading this. There is far more to consider about how doubt can affect your spiritual journey than what can be covered in a short piece.

And third, I hope that anything I say will serve to perhaps challenge your thinking and encourage your heart if you are one who struggles with doubts.

I like to think of doubt as the state of mind where there is a lack of confidence in whatever the person is considering. Doubting can sometimes serve as a middle way between believing and not believing something. It is almost like telling someone, "You know, I'm just not sure about that. I'm not saying that I don't believe he's innocent, but I am losing confidence in his testimony." You could say that you're in a situation where you have a hard time committing to one side of the fence versus the other.

As far as understanding the different kinds of doubts there are for different people, there are two important things to keep in mind. First, each kind of doubt is based on the aspect of the person it is directly concerned with, as well as the issue at hand. Second, even though all different doubts can be grouped into different categories, our entire being is affected by a particular doubt because of the ripple effect it has on every aspect of who we are.

Basically, if I were – as an example – to have doubts about certain passages in the Bible that seemed to horrify me, I could doubt whether they are historically accurate – but my doubts about those passages would also affect which aspect of God I relate to personally. Or suppose I come to accept the view that God unconditionally damns certain individuals from eternity and it troubles me – I could learn how to cope with it, or I could reject the Christian faith.

Because we are not fragmented beings, all different doubts affect the same person in different ways. I cannot entertain doubts about a view without it affecting how I feel and the kinds of decisions I make. Suppose I doubt that God answers prayer.

Even though that is something relational I might question about God, it might affect whether I think He is good. Whether He is good or not can be an intellectual and emotional doubt. But my doubts about prayer can also affect whether I will choose to attend a prayer group or participate in prayer with others. Or I might decide not to pray myself.

With that being said, I'd like to offer three suggestions for those who doubt and those who are wanting to help fellow Christians who have doubts.

First, for the believer who is doubting, recognize that God warmly, lovingly, and non-threateningly welcomes your doubts. God is never threatened by your doubts and concerns. What God desires most for you is your flourishing in His kingdom. Being vulnerable about our doubts to God is crucial for developing the closeness we need to trust in His good character.

Second, find someone trustworthy and qualified to help you identify and work through your specific doubt(s). I say trustworthy because you should primarily be vulnerable with those who know you well and have demonstrated their trustworthiness to you over time. I say qualified because not every child of God can help us through each kind of doubt.

If you are grieving over the loss of a loved one or close friend and are doubting God's goodness or closeness, I would not recommend someone who isn't skilled at relating emotionally to others and being emotionally aware.

On the other hand, if you are having doubts about whether there are good reasons to be opposed to abortion apart from what your pastor has taught – assuming you distrust your pastor – then you should consult someone who understands the abortion controversy.

Third, know how to rank your doubts in terms of their importance. Not all doubts are equally important because not every issue they touch on is of equal importance, despite the truth that Christianity is a holistically ordered way of life centered on Christ. Every teaching that the Church communicates and teaches from the Bible is somehow related to the others, even if they do not all directly intersect.

Finally, for those who help doubting believers, I have a few suggestions. Be gentle because you're potentially dealing with a wounded person. Be wise because you are the more mature believer. Be knowledgeable because you cannot offer a helpful answer or presence unless you have enough knowledge about their issue.

Be patient because finding a satisfying answer or overcoming emotional barriers can take a long time. Be pure because you could be ripe for Satan's attack in your private and internal life. Be prayerful because you cannot do this on your own and need God's empowerment. And lastly, be filled with the Holy Spirit because He knows what you need every day at every moment.