4 Ways You Can Help With Hurricane Harvey Relief

How can we as a nation come together to support those in the wake of disaster?
4

Natural disasters are slamming the states in the transition between the summer month of August to fall.

Disastrous flooding struck Texas just days ago leaving hundreds trapped in flood zones, thousands of homes destroyed, and many lives of family and friends lost. Experts have now predicted Hurricane Irma will ravage the Carribean and Florida within the early days of September as it is now a category 5 storm. A sense of hopelessness lingers over residents in Houston while those occupying Florida stay frozen with the impending arrival of this tropical storm. In times such as these, the essence of human spirit and soul is revealed through the extrodinary movement for support and community. Here are some ways our nation has already taken an initiative to help and some other ways you can help these devastating causes.

1. American Red Cross

The American Red Cross hosts a website which provides information and support for the families affected by Hurricane Harvey. The site already occupied by high volumes of donators, allows fiscal donations to be made in all increments. In addition, citizens are able to register as volunteers to help those in affected areas.

2. Charity Navigator

Charity navigator is a website which gives information of hundreds of organizations from emergency care charities to hunger institutions. A variety of volunteer and donation options are available as well as information regarding each charity. Additionally, the site has posted a Hurricane Relief section on the homepage which lists organizations already looking to collect donations anticipating Hurricane Irma’s arrival along with donations for Hurricane Harvey’s destruction in Texas. “Giving baskets” are donated to families in need and is one of the sites most popular feature.

3. Hand in Hand: A Benefit for Hurricane Harvey Relief

Celebrities are often praised for using their public influence to create such an impact in the world. A-list stars such as Beyonce, George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Barbra Streisand, Reese Witherspoon and Oprah Winfrey are scheduled to appear in a one-hour telethon September 12th. The benefit will air 8 p.m. ET across ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and cabler CMT. The proceeds from the event is to be distributed to a variety of emergency relief organizations and charities across the nation. Big name organizations include Habitat for Humanity, Save the Children and the Mayor’s Fund for Hurricane Harvey Relief.

4. Feeding Texas, South Texas Blood and Tissue Center

Those both in the Texas area and all over the nation can donate clothing and food to Feeding Texas. Many evacuees are stranded with limited resources in the midst of contaminated waters, compromised shelter, and sickness. Additionally, South Texas Blood and Tissue Center is encouraging anyone within the health guidelines to donate. Partnering hospitals, as well as blood drives, are all working together to get blood to those facing physical harm from the flooding.