How To Conquer Procrastination

How To Conquer Procrastination In The Best Way Possible

We all suffer from it, but your grades shouldn't have to!

15
coffee cups on table
Personal Photo

Imagine this: Your professor gives out the date of the next exam. To your surprise, it's this week! Immediately, you plan to study your butt off the minute you return to your dorm. When that time comes, you're about to set down your phone to begin the study session. However, the phone lights up with a notification. Someone liked your Instagram picture. Eh, not a big deal. But wait. . . which post? Was it that selfie from last night, or the video you took of your dog barking the alphabet?

So of course, you have to check. The next thing you know, it's 1 AM. Obviously, that is just way too late to begin studying, so you promise that you'll study tomorrow. After a few days, you sit down in class and pull out your notebook-like always. "Exam time!" your professor announces. Panic rises in your throat as you realize that you accomplished zero studying and you're going to fail.

Does that situation sound all too familiar? Probably, because almost everyone suffers from procrastination. Though it's a common problem, it's one that can sink your grades quickly. But don't worry, there are actually several ways to conquer procrastination. The first way is to not let it become a problem in the first place. People often procrastinate because their workload is overwhelming. Don't let that happen to you, complete assignments as soon as possible.

It may seem ridiculous to do that when you have 3 weeks, but it is a great way to narrow down your to-do list. If you get assigned an essay, then it'll take much longer than a day to complete. However, you can work on it in intervals. That way, you won't have to write an entire essay the night before.

People also procrastinate because of their phones or laptops. This is probably one of the most common reasons; I know I definitely spend too much time scrolling on my phone instead of studying. The best way to overcome this is to simply put it away. I know, it seems impossible to set your phone in a drawer then close it, but it cuts off that distraction.

When your phone, or laptop, is out of sight then it makes it tremendously easier to concentrate on your work. I'm not saying that you even have to part without it for hours on end, just for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, you can take a break and catch up on your missed messages. For some people, it may be easier to just totally confiscate your phone. However, taking regular breaks is proven to be efficient when studying.

Another way to avoid procrastination is to make learning fun. Too many people forget that learning can be interesting and insightful. It doesn't all just have to be boring notes and dull flashcards. Make it enjoyable; come up with study games or grab a couple of your friends to do a group study session.

For me, I like to watch YouTube videos about whatever lesson I'm trying to learn. It may not have the exact information I need, but it helps keep me engaged so I'm not reading my notes all the time. It's good to mix it up sometimes so it doesn't get too repetitive and boring.

Procrastination affects us all. There's no way to avoid it all the time; it's going to happen because we're only human. However, it shouldn't affect your grades. Don't let your phone or too many assignments cause your GPA to drop.

There are many more ways to help conquer procrastination than the ones I listed, If this post doesn't help, then do research and see what works for you. If you find that nothing is helping, then don't be afraid to seek guidance. Your future is worth the time spent studying.