HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR FIRST ELECTRIC BICYCLE

Joining the trending league of the two-wheeled vehicle in style.

29

E-bikes are attracting an increasing number of first-time riders due to their ease of use and exhilarating performance. If you've been thinking about purchasing your electric bicycle but aren't sure where to start, this article is for you!

How to Select an Electric Bike

When you look at the vast number of electric bicycles available, it's easy to become overwhelmed.

There was a time when there were just a half-dozen companies to choose from. There are now hundreds, if not thousands. Where do you even start?

When it comes to purchasing an electric bicycle, there are two key factors to consider: style and pricing. Both of these characteristics will assist you in cutting through the clutter and locating the best e-bike for your unique needs.

It is easier to start with the style of an e-bike, which can be divided into the following categories:

●Electric mountain bikes

●Electric cruiser bikes

●Electric road/commuter bikes

Electric cargo bikes

●Electric folding bikes

●Electric fat bikes

●Other specialty electric bikes

Electric mountain bikes

Electric mountain bikes are ideal for riding trails and venturing off-road. But don't dismiss them on the street either.

Lower-priced electric mountain bikes can make excellent commuter e-bikes. These bikes are typically hardtails, which means they lack rear suspension. Instead, they frequently only have a front suspension fork. The e-bike suspension may not be adequate for severe trail riding, but it is usually enough for hitting a few potholes on the way to work.

You'll need a downhill electric mountain bike if you want to jump your e-bike and do some serious downhill mountain biking. These bikes are manufactured to far higher standards to withstand years of abuse. Dropping from 10 ft (3 meters) tables and hitting jump-after-jump is regular for electric mountain bikes.

Electric cruiser bikes

Cruisers are built for just that: cruising. Electric cruiser motorcycles are all about elegance and comfort.

They often have large, comfy seats and taller, swept-back handlebars that face the rider. The pedals are typically situated further forward, allowing the rider to rest both feet flat on the ground when coming to a complete stop.

Cruisers are made in the embodiment of a beach bike, with larger balloon tires in the 3′′ range, though not as big as those found on dedicated fat bikes.

Cruisers are great for leisurely riding. They are, however, larger and heavier than almost any other sort of e-bike. At low speeds, this can make them less maneuverable. A cruiser is ideal for cruising along the local beach pathways.

Electric road/commuter bikes

Electric road and commuting bikes are a large category that consists of a wide range of models, from hybrids to racing to leisure and even gravel cycles. Most of them have thinner tires, a more forward-leaning geometry, narrower saddles, no suspension, and an emphasis on lightweight design.

An electric road bike is a good alternative if your objective is to cycle and ride mostly on the street as a hobby. These bikes are frequently the lightest options and are made for the most effective pedaling. They may often be ridden without any e-assist at all, which is ideal for cyclists who just need assistance on slopes.

If you plan to use your e-bike as a commuter rather than a leisure vehicle, you should consider a hybrid or perhaps a cyclocross style bike. These often have significantly wider tires and designs that emphasize strong multi-terrain frames.

Without suspension, they can eliminate pricey components. Concentrate on rigid frames that allow perfect pedaling form while providing enough motor power to make pedaling optional. That's useful after a long day of work when you want to get home without pedaling.

Electric cargo bikes

Electric cargo bikes are the e-bike equivalent of minivans.

Electric cargo bikes are intended to transport as much freight as feasible. They employ a variety of techniques to accomplish this.

Some electric cargo bicycles employ a frame that is expanded in the back to offer a foot or cargo platform on each side of the rear tire to maintain a size similar to regular bicycles. They also provide a variety of cargo equipment such as racks, bags, and child carriers. The Tern GSD is an excellent example of a cargo bike that manages to give a 400 lb (181 kg) capacity while maintaining the frame to a practical size.

Electric folding bikes

Because of their incredible portability, electric folding bikes are one of the most popular classifications. The majority of e-folders have a folding point in the center of the bike as well as on the handlebars. This reduces the bike into a package that is typically not larger than a suitcase.

If you intend to transport your e-bike in a car trunk or on a bus or train, a foldable e-bike is most certainly in your future.

The disadvantage of many folders is that they are frequently heavier than comparably sized e-bikes and sometimes have inferior quality parts. Designing a folding bike necessitates tradeoffs to keep the price from skyrocketing — and those compromises usually take the form of bicycle component quality.

Electric fat bikes

In my opinion, electric fat bikes are one of the most enjoyable types of e-bikes. They perform admirably in off-road conditions involving soft soil, sand, or even snow. Their huge tires, which are usually 4′′ or larger, allow electric fat bikes to travel up and over almost any surface.

You can ride them on streets, sidewalks, or bike lanes, but they also allow you to jump a curb and ride straight down the middle of a park. The majority will not have suspension, while some may have suspension forks. However, with such wide tires, the suspension isn't as vital Because the fat tires absorb a lot of shocks and potholes.

Some Tips When Buying A Bike

1. CONSIDER YOUR RIDING REQUIREMENTS

Electric bikes are made for a variety of people and functions. It is up to you to determine which characteristics are most important to you.

If comfort is a priority, you might want to consider a step-through frame. If you intend to do a lot of hill climbing, a mid-motor system or a high torque hub motor may be the best option. If cycling long distances are your thing, a battery with more power, up to 400 watt-hours or more, is ideal. Understanding what you need can assist you in determining which characteristics are most important on your electric bike.

2. TEST RIDE MANY BIKES

The most important—and enjoyable—part of purchasing an electric bike is test riding. Trying an electric bike allows you to ignore specs, reviews, and research to answer the most fundamental question: 'Do I like this bike?' If affirmative, ask a couple more questions: 'Does it climb hills the way I need it to?'; 'Does the bike fit me the way I want it to?'; 'Does it offer the quality and functionality I want?'

3. HAVE EXPECTATIONS THAT ARE HIGH

The electric bike is a game-changing mode of mobility. Quality electric bikes are readily available, and they are dependable, powerful, practical, and enjoyable to ride. Overall, an electric bike can change your life. However, not all e-bikes are the same. Many of the electric bikes on the market fall well short of the ideal of a modern, high-quality machine. It is your responsibility, as the consumer, to set high standards and demand the best.

4. THE WARRANTY IS IMPORTANT

Whether for $1500 or $10,000, purchasing an electric bike is a significant financial commitment. With a warranty, you may be confident that your investment was worth it.

5. BELIEVE IN YOUR INSTINCT

The internet can be a jungle of contradictory information. There are multiple options, numerous points of view, and few reputable organizations; that certify and methodically review electric motorcycles. What should someone do? The greatest method is to rely on your instincts. If something appears to be too good to be true, it most likely is. If you've never heard of a brand and can't locate any information about it, it's usually better to avoid it.

6. TAKE A LONG-TERM VIEW

Being environmentally sustainable entails is more than just riding an electric bike. It entails how the bike was made, the quality of its construction, and the after-purchase care to keep it in fantastic shape. With regular maintenance, you should anticipate your bike to survive at least five to ten years and your battery to endure 600 to 800 full charge cycles. When the battery has to be changed, your store should be prepared to have it repaired or recycled rather than thrown away.

7. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

The ancient adage applies to electric bikes just as much as it does to everything else in life. Building a nice electric bike that is reliable and has quality components is not inexpensive. Expect to pay at least $1500 for throttle-operated bikes or bikes with a cadence sensor. Expect to pay $2500 or more for electric motorcycles with torque sensors. The good news is that a high-quality e-bike will quickly pay for itself. And that doesn't even take into account the happiness dividend!

Getting an electric bike is no mean feat. However, if you apply these tips and suggestions, you should be fine. A good place to start looking for your first e-bike is kbobike.com.