The hardest part about college is getting acclimated to a new environment. Having to learn your way around a new campus and meet a billion new people is difficult, but living with people you don't know has proven to be one of the toughest parts of moving away from home.

Being a good roommate can be tough, but being the perfect roommate is so simple if you follow this one easy rule.

1. Be your own roommate!

That's right! The best way to make sure you always love who you live with and they always love you is to live alone! Get a private room on campus or rent an apartment somewhere, but holding yourself accountable for a space that only you occupy is the easiest way to be the perfect roommate.

All jokes aside, whether you live alone or with others, accountability, responsibility, and communication are key! Your first time living with new people will continuously prove itself to be a challenge.

To ACTUALLY be an awesome roommate, make sure to openly communicate with your roommate about your wishes for your living situation, really really listen to theirs, try to always respect the person or people that you live with, and ensure that you always have a solid road for communication.

If they don't feel like they can talk to you, there's a problem that you can fix and the other way around. While there are tons of unforeseen factors that may end up affecting your living situation, if you try to be a good roommate, chances are you will be in the end.

Shout out to my girls in McAli 323 for always being great roomies!