I've been a festive person for most of my life. Whether it be Halloween, Christmas, or even Valentine's Day, I went all out with the decor. After I hit high school, though, my predilection for the colorful lights, wreaths, and window cut-outs almost completely vanished. I still love my holidays, but I no longer always want or even feel the need to showcase my enjoyment.

However, not everyone around me is the same. In fact, I am the least festive of my friends. With that said, Halloween is just days away, and stores are stock-full with pumpkins, cornucopias, and in some cases, Christmas decor. For such trying times for people like me, here are five ways to (try to) be festive.

1) Do NOT be a Scrooge.

No matter what, please do not be a Scrooge. This is not only harmful to our own well-being but also to those around us. If you have a friend who likes to deck out their doors a month early and give out treats to the neighbors, do not discourage them; just l let them do their thing like how they are letting you do yours.

2) Acknowledge that people will be festive.

We get it - you don't like dressing up or you're too lazy to put up decor or you just don't care. Whatever your reason may be, just realize that not everyone will be like you, and respect this difference.

3) Go to parties...

...Especially if they are holiday-themed. Even if you aren't the one hosting and/or you may be an introvert, you might as well take advantage of the free food and drinks.

4) If not parties, take advantage of the holiday season.

Holidays are the time to kick back and relax. Midterms are almost over, and Thanksgiving break is only three weeks away. Take comfort in the thought that because it is the holidays, you will have more free time to do whatever you want.

5) If you're feeling the tiniest bit festive...

...You could cut out a few decorations and paste them on your door, window, etc. If that's not your thing, you could maybe invite a handful of friends and have a festive movie night. Better yet, you (and your buddies if you feel like sharing) can buy a bunch of sweets and/or host a bake-off, and then eat it all afterward.

If none of the points above has made you feel festive, and all you want to do is curl up in the bed and watch Netflix while munching on Sour Cream and Onion Pringles, go for it. There is never a right way to celebrate the holiday season. Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you are doing it because you - and you alone - want to.