How to Be a Better Millennial

How to Be a Better Millennial

Tips on How to Make Our Criticisms Our Strengths

412
How to Be a Better Millennial
FICO

1. Check Your Privilege

A great way to try to be better is by checking your privilege. According to the University of San Francisco, privilege is "unearned access to social power based on membership in a dominant social group" (Walker, Poole & Murray). This usually has a negative connotation, but do not let that scare you. Being privileged only means that there are other people in this world that have not had the same advantages, resources, or experiences as you. Here are some questions that will help you check your privilege:

1. Are you Christian?

2. Are you straight?

3. Are you white?

4. Are you able-bodied?

5. Are you employed?

6. Was education easily accessible to you?

7. Are you male?

8. Did you grow up seeing people that looked like you on television & in film?

9. Did you grow up with more than one parent in your home?

By checking your privilege, you can better understand how to communicate with, respect, and help others. If you answered yes to some or all of these questions - you're privileged. But that doesn't make you a "bad guy." Instead, use your privilege to be a voice for those less fortunate than you and to learn more about the world you have not experienced.

2. Pay Attention to What’s Happening

Do not get me wrong - the world can be intimidating. But simply choosing not to participate isn't good enough. There are plenty of ways to be involved in what is happening around you without falling into the very aspects of the world that scare us. The best way to make sure you stay educated in current events is by subscribing to news that you're both familiar and unfamiliar with. Here are some helpful and accessible ways to get your news:

1. The News App on Your Smartphone - You can customize your news feed by selecting what matters mean the most to you. The app will send you push notifications about important events, discoveries, and stories as they happen.

2. Google News - You will be given the top headlines, your local news, and news tailored just for you based on your preferences.

3. Cable Programs like Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah - These shows will give you the rundown on what is happening in the world all while entertaining you. Both of these shows invite guests that are on the same side as the hosts and ones that disagree with them.

4. Use Your Social Media - YES, it can be used in productive and helpful ways! Follow your local news channels, reliable sources on social media like CNN, FOX, ABC, NBC, the Huffington Post, NPR, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BBC, and many, many more. But remember, do not just follow people or sources that align with your beliefs.

3. VOTE

According to the Brookings' Governance Studies, only 50 percent of Americans from ages 18 to 29 voted in the 2016 Presidential Election (Galston & Hendrickson, 2016). However, this population has been and will be greatly affected by the results of this election. It is time millennials do more to participate in the election of their country's officials. Here are some ways to be better prepared to vote:

1. Pay Close Attention to the Campaigns - Keep a schedule of the debates, rallies, and any other events that can bring you more information about the candidates. Find the issues that are most important to you. Who supports them?

2. Check Your Registration Status - This website will help you register or check your registration status in your state. While you are at it, make sure all of your information is correct.

3. Be Prepared - Be sure to check the requirements for your state. Do you need to bring identification? Do you know where your polling location is? Has it changed?

4. Know Your Options - If the circumstances call for it, you can vote early, send an absentee ballot, or visit your local polling place. If you're out of the town you're registered to vote in, be sure to get an absentee ballot.

Remember... the Right to Vote is one of our most civil liberties. Don't give it up.

4. Stop Saying that You’re “Adulting”

One of the biggest criticisms of millennials is that we are lazy, unmotivated and immature. Is it not time we prove everyone wrong? A trend amongst millennials is to refer to any sort of mature behavior or action as "adulting." Well I am here to say: Girl, you are not an adult for going to the grocery store. When we use this term, we are undermining our abilities to carry out the simplest of tasks.

Contrary to popular belief - tasks such as buying groceries, paying your bills, cleaning your room, going to work, or going to the doctors when you are above the age of 18 is not called adulting, but being a human. In fact, if you refer to #1 on this list, these tasks make you a privileged human. So, stop acting like it is an accomplishment. It is what is expected.

5. Take Care of Yourself

No, this does not mean listening to Drake on repeat. Although, it could be part of your self-care regime. According to Mental Health America (2013), taking care of yourself is crucial to mental health recovery. As part of being a millennial, we are constantly under pressure from family, work, school, and frankly - the world. Without proper self-care, it is easy to spiral into a grouchy, unhealthy, unproductive, and unrecognizable version of yourself. Before you run off to Lush to buy a bath bomb, understand that self-care is more than buying material goods that look good with an Instagram filter. Here are some tips that can help you take better care of yourself:

1. Practice Good Hygiene - While we are busy with all of life's troubles, it is easy to forget about personal hygiene. Shower regularly, wash your hands and hair, moisturize, trim your nails, put on deodorant, and any other routines that help you be your best self.

2. Practice Self Love - Give yourself compliments. Occasionally treat yourself to your favorite clothing brand or restaurant. Take a look at yourself in the mirror. Take a selfie every now and then. Wear that outfit that you bought, but are not sure if you can pull off.

3. Read a Good Book - You get to decide what is a good book. Books can help us take a break from the world without getting sucked into a television screen. Books can also teach us new things, bring us to new worlds that aren't currently crashing down on us.

4. Take Time to Feel Your Feelings - I know, I know. This is not easy. But it is one of the most underlooked components of self-care. Suffering is natural and therefore, it should not be ignored. Let a good cry out every once in a while when it's needed. Do not be afraid to seek counseling for some of your problems. When we ignore our issues, and put them on the back burner, we are letting them go unresolved. By talking to someone, whether a friend, family member, therapist, trusted mentor, or anyone you can get an ear from, you are actively feeling your feelings. Also, take time to laugh. If you're happy or proud about something, brag to the world! Share your happiness and it will spread to others.

We do our best work when we are our best selves. Make sure you are taking the time out of your day to treat yourself with kindness and do what makes you happy.