How To Be A Morning Person When You're A Night Owl, Hatched And Raised

So, you want to be a morning person?

127

Getting up early is one of the habits I'm most grateful for having. As a morning person, I feel much more productive during the day and it allows me to stick to my schedule. I will admit, at one point, I was a night owl. I worked night shifts at a restaurant, I took classes later in the day. It was a struggle the first couple weeks of a new semester when all my classes were at 7:30 or 9 o'clock. With a few helpful tips, I was able to completely change my sleeping habits.

1. Find a reason to get up.

This reason could be anything from work, the gym, school, or making plans with a friend. To me, this is the most important step.

2. Focus on being productive in the morning.

I try to be as productive as possible in the mornings. Completing small tasks like laundry and homework makes it easier to get up and motivates you the next day to feel just as accomplished.

3. Avoid caffeine late at night.

In order to get to bed early, taking out caffeine mid-way through the day is a necessity. This may seem like a given, but there were days I would drink coffee around dinner time and would be up until 3 a.m. Least to say, it was much harder getting up for work the next day!

SEE ALSO: I'm The Girl Who's Up At 6 A.M. And Honestly, I Love It

4. Exercise.

Exercise is important for your health regardless. In order to sleep a little earlier, getting in a good work out a few hours before bed gets rid of any extra energy you may have.

5. Let natural light in.

Open up your curtains, or get rid of those blackout curtains. Letting in the sun makes getting up and moving easier and faster.

6. Get rid of late night distractions.

Put your phone down. Make sure you're getting your assignments done early. Don't hang out with those friends who you know are going to be up until three in the morning. It's easier to fall asleep when you have a clear mind and you're not being kept awake by a bright screen.