How To Avoid That Sneaky Freshman 15

How To Avoid That Sneaky Freshman 15

Be Active.

18
How To Avoid That Sneaky Freshman 15
RyanMcGuire

My freshmen year of college I gained 20 lbs. Although I was a college athlete, I gained unhealthy eating habits and became sedentary. I was thick, but as an athlete, I was lethargic and slow. In high school, I was active; I ran track, cross country, and played basketball.

My electives consisted of weight training and gym classes. My father made me eat vegetables, tofu, and soy milk; he was a vegetarian for thirty years. The food I avoided in high school was now at my fingertips. My appetite gobbled down pizza, tacos, snacks, Reese’s, noodles, and anything it could fit in it's stomach.

The College Cafeteria introduced me to buffet eating, large portions and greasy food, a taste bud heaven. I figured since I was a college athlete, loading on food (empty carbs) was beneficial. Basketball practice was my substitute for an active lifestyle, twisted logic. When I wasn’t in the gym, you could find me studying or watching Netflix consuming cereal like the brand ambassador of Honey Bunches of Oats. After freshmen year, denim no longer fit me, leggings became my wardrobe.

I clocked in at my heaviest: 173. I was happy, but overeating became a problem. It took me until my junior year to get back in shape. Listen, Freshmen year is tempting, freedom can make or break you. If you aren’t aware, you can developed horrible habits in college that will lead into adulthood. In regards to a healthy lifestyle, being active is better than concentrating on weight loss. Here are some tips that can help you avoid the notorious Freshmen 15.

Join a Club or Intramural team:

If you aren’t playing college sports, join a club or intramural sports team. Club sports are competitive, tryouts and practice are on campus and students watch the games. Interested in walking on a collegiate team? Start with club sports. It is the next best thing to college sports; club sports are back by the University providing tournaments and national tournaments for teams.

If your college is small, chances are club sports aren’t available. However, Intramural sports are an option. Intramural sports aren’t as competitive as club or collegiate but it is fun. You can create your own team and play against other students on campus, it's a great way to socialize.

Use the Student Recreation Center:

I cannot stress this enough, your college tuition pays for the Student Recreational center (cancel your gym membership). The Student Rec is open at least 5 days a week. Take a yoga, group exercise, or cycling class. The Student Rec offers outdoor activities. College is the time to try new things; be adventurous.

Buy workout clothes and stop weighing yourself:

Workout clothes are fashionable. My favorite workout apparel is Nike, Skins, Athletica, Old Navy, and Target. Tip: Old Navy has sales every day. I recommend not weighing yourself, don’t concentrate on the scale. Invest in a tape measure and measure your waist, thighs, and hips to keep track of your progress.

Take a walk/ or rent bikes:

If enrolled in a large campus, take walks. Walking from your class to dorm will cause a sweat. Challenge yourself, take the stairs one day a week. If your campus is near the city, rent bicycles to ride downtown or on the weekends. For safety reasons, walk in the daytime do not walk/jog by yourself as night.

Find a buddy:

A workout partner is vital. if you have a lack of motivation find a friend with similar goals as you. Together you can achieve more! Start an Instagram page dedicated to health/fitness. Take pictures showing off your hard work. Use social media for an exercise boost and follow fitness gurus on Instagram. I follow @tinabefit and @blogilates to keep motivated.

Eat fruit and veggies:

Eating an abundance of fruits and vegetables are essential to good health (This is coming from a meat eater). I eat my fruits and vegetables before I load on grains and other carbs. Fresh fruit is the way to go. Jelly/ jam, fruit, snacks, juice, and smoothies do not count, eat them in moderation. Juicing fruits and veggies obliterate the fiber content while the sugar content is outrageous and bad for your teeth.

Drink Water:

Buy a water bottle or a canteen. Fill it with water and drink

Walk:

During long lecture halls, take five minutes to stretch your legs every hour. Usually studying causes hunger, be wise with snacking. One time, I ate a family size bag of Doritos by myself mindlessly while EWS, eating-while-studying. Instead of empty carbs, fill up on protein and fiber.

For example; grapes, apples, real cheese squares, veggies, and low sugar granola are great healthy snacks to eat. After eating a heavy meal, try walking for 20 minutes after to ease your stomach.

Buy a Fitbit:

I swear by Fitbits, they will keep you active! Fitbits keep track of steps, workouts, sleep, and monitoring your heart rate. I have three words for you: Buy a Fitbit.

Ease. Off. The. Soda. :

This includes non-fruit drinks. If you want soda buy carbonated water and add juice or drink kombucha. At Starbucks, Ask the barista To make your drink skinny. Tip: If you eat something heavy, drink kombucha, I drink kombuha daily; it helps my digestive system and acne.

When going out, dance! :

Don’t be that person who doesn’t dance. Get out, dance and burn calories. Ever heard of Zumba? IF you don’t twerk or salsa on SOMEBODY. You have my permission to twerk sumthing girl!

Don't stress:

Look its college, learn and have fun. Stress in college is inevitable, so to combat stress take time aside for yourself. If you can, do not procrastinate. I don’t know why but college professors love assigning never ending papers. Divide your paper up into sections, and work on it a few times a week until due date. If you have to pull an all nighter don’t worry, the possibility of someone pulling an all nighter like you is high. Find them and befriend them then finish together. You are not alone.

Everything in moderation:

Its college so you might drink or use recreational drugs. I don’t believe in restriction, but I do believe in balance. Binge drinking is not okay it can lead to weight gain and death. Be smart, do things in moderation and don’t overdo it.