How to Get Through An (Academic) Hell Week

A guide for making it out alive.

40
Gun Show Comic

As an expert procrastinator, I’ve gotten pretty good at cramming in a six-page paper and a test in the same week without too much mental/emotional damage. But until this week, I had never had so much to do that I felt like my brain was going to melt and leak out of my ears. 

In a span of five days, I had four midterms and a paper due, back-to-back-to-back-to-back. But somehow, by the grace of God and through so much caffeine that I probably now have some running through my veins, I made it through. 

No amount of prayer or meditation will ever prepare you to face that ungodly fate, so here is my advice on how to handle that hellish week you’ve got ahead of you.

1. Plan your week. One of my biggest problems is that I bite off more than I can chew and end up having to do ten things in one day that could have been better-handled if I had planned ahead. So plan times to study between classes or maybe even early in the morning to avoid as many all-nighters as possible.
  2. Coffee. Lots of it. Energy drinks and tea are good alternatives, but just be sure to have as much caffeine readily available as possible, and in whatever form you take it. You’ll need something to keep you awake.
  3. Study groups (limit to four people). I’ve found that all-nighters are easier to handle in the company of others. Get together with a few classmates to go over test material for a few (or ten) hours, but try to keep the group small to minimize distractions.
  4. Take an hour to collect your thoughts. There is no way to study for entire days without losing a little piece of your sanity, so take an hour or two to get lunch, nap, gouge your eyes out, etc. (try to resist the urge to do that last one).
  5. Most importantly, B R E A T H. I know the week seems endless, but just remember to breath, you’ll do better on your exams and also not die of suffocation in the process.