How The First Week Of School Usually Goes

Don't worry if it didn't go well for you.

6
UWEC

Everyone is either pretty excited about school, or has some anxiety about it, but everyone has some type of feeling toward going back to school. Today I am going to share with you how the first week of classes usually goes.

Since I am in my second year of college, you would think that I'm like an expert at doing this school thing, well surprisingly, as I have found out, I'm not. Let me explain why. Last year, I had my schedule down right away because I was in a new place and I didn't know anyone or where anything was, and this year I know where everything is. The problem is, this past week has been crazy busy and my brain hasn't adjusted to the fact that I'm at school and I need to do real, hard, work. I thought I would share with everyone some things that have happened to me this week so that somebody out there doesn't feel alone.

I started classes last Tuesday and I was really excited to be getting back to school, so I was so happy about seeing my friends from last year and being back on campus. The first day of classes are usually all about the syllabi, which is SO much fun... anyway I have a pretty busy class schedule this semester, with a lot of my classes back to back so I have to get across campus pretty fast and I remember trying to go to my Geology class and just walking into a random classroom hoping I was right. I sat down in the very full lecture and looked around and asked the person next to me if I was in the right class, luckily, I was, but later that same week, I walked into the wrong classroom twice. I don't know why I did it, but I did. So if this happens to you, don't worry, I've done it too!

Another one of my favorite things about school is the sudden realization that you have a metric crap ton of things to do every single night. Yes, in college you get homework even BEFORE classes start, fun stuff. As I have said before, I have a pretty busy schedule this semester, and trying to organize all of the things that I have to do every night was a little overwhelming, but I've FINALLY got it figured out! So if you feel like you are drowning in an ocean of homework, don't worry, I feel you so much.

So, life is a thing that happens, and sometimes it isn't very nice. You know how sometimes life is going really really well and then something happens and reminds you that not everything can be perfect 24/7? That happens a lot in real adult life. Along with classes, comes all of the expenses of college and life. Nothing is better than when you have a wake up call and realize that you don't have enough money, and then you're just kind of in a state of panic until you somehow pull a miracle and pay your bill. If you are worried about money, you're not alone, everyone worries about money. Also, never underestimate what you can do, you'd be surprised at what you would sacrifice just to save a few dollars.

I always love meeting the people in my classes because the first few days are always a mess. I introduce myself and ask the other people what their names are and then when I see them the next day I can't remember what their name's are because I have met about 30 other people since I have seen them last. But it's okay, I usually ask them their name's again and they are all pretty nice about it. I also really love making friends in class because you can secretly judge the course together by making faces at each other, it's my favorite.

On top of it being the first week of classes, I'm still an exceptionally clumsy person, so I manage to look ridiculous 100% of the time. Let me explain, I'm really good at tripping, spilling and falling, so last week went really well. I ran into many things while the majority of people were looking at me and I have tripped countless amounts of times. It's okay though, gravity checks are a good thing.

Even though there are probably a million things I forgot to mention, the first week or two of classes can definitely be a huge mess, but that's okay because you have your friends who are going through the same things you are and you can be anxious balls of sweat and tears together. Plus, you always have the rest of the semester to stop messing things up...right?