20 Things To Know About When Taking Care Of A Hedgehog

Hedgehogs are nocturnal animals and there are a lot of things to know about when taking care of them.

19
Amber Chai
Amber Chai

My sister bought a hedgehog for my family and me. It is now our pet. Hedgehogs are nocturnal animals and there are a lot of things to know about when taking care of them.

1. Hedgehogs Sleep During The Daytime

Nocturnal means that they are awake at nighttime. You can only play with them during the nighttime. If you are a night owl, hedgehogs are the best pet for you.

2. Hedgehogs Have A Lot Of Food Restrictions

Hedgehogs only drink water. Here is a list of foods that they cannot eat: avocado, bread, carrots, celery, chives, chocolate, corn, citrus fruits, dairy products, dried fruits, fish, garlic, grapes, raisins, grass, insects, mushrooms, nuts, onions, peas, peanut butter, pineapples, pomegranates, potatoes, popcorn, processed meat, raw meat (must be steamed or boiled without seasoning for the hedgehog), red meat, rhubarb, seeds, spicy food, sweet potatoes (only feed it small amounts), tomatoes, tree-oil based foods and soaps, vitamin A, and vitamin D. Some foods are poisonous. Some foods cause choking hazards. Some foods cause pain.

3. Hedgehogs Need To Be In A Big Cage

A small cage will make them depressed.

4. Hedgehogs Like Running On A Pet Wheel

To them, it is fun.

5. Hedgehogs Can Be Shy

When my hedgehog runs on her wheel, she stops when someone is near her cage. When no one is near her cage, she runs on her wheel. The same thing happens when she poops in her cage.

6. Hedgehogs Need One Person To Get Close With

When your hedgehog comes, only one person's scent needs to be the main scent that your hedgehog needs to be used to. It will not get used to other people in your house right away because of the different scents.

7. Hedgehogs Can Hear And See But Cannot Understand What We Are Saying

It's like that. However, they will know something sad or bad is happening.

8. Hedgehogs' Quills Will Poke You If They Are Scared Or Sense A New Smell

Be careful of their quills. Sometimes, they can poke you. If you are scared, then you can wear gloves to protect your hands. If the hedgehog is used to you, then he or she will not poke you.

9. They Hiss When You Try To Hold Them

It's bound to happen in the beginning. Later, hedgehogs will not do that when they are getting used to you.

10. Hedgehogs Scratch

Hedgehogs have dry skin. They will scratch themselves. Put vitamin D on oil once in a while to make their skin feel better.

11. Do Not Give Hedgehogs Baths Every Day

To avoid their skin from getting drier, bath them once a week. If they run on a wheel that has poop on it, make sure that you wash his or her feet.

12. Hedgehogs Can Poop And Pee Anywhere

It's bound to happen. Hedgehogs will be able to pee and poop on a litter box in the cage. However, get your newspapers, sprays, and paper towels ready when they are out of the cage.

13. Hedgehogs Like To Burrow

They like to go inside of bags and blankets. They make loud scratching noises as they do that.

14. Do Not Drop Them Nor Let Them Fall On The Floor

Hedgehogs are fragile animals. Be careful when holding them and on places or objects that have edges.

15. Hedgehogs Lick Themselves When They Like A New Food or When They Find A New Scent

They are adorable and happy when they do this. It's called self-anointing!

16. Do Not Let Hedgehogs Go Through Places That Are Dusty And Difficult To Come Out From

Dust mites will bite them. If your hedgehog goes through somewhere that they should not go through, then get him or her out of there right away.

17. Be Careful of Poisonous Bugs Like Spiders

Poisonous bugs like spiders can bite them and poison them, especially when hedgehogs eat them.

18. Hedgehogs Are Great For Social Media Posts

You can take a picture of them or videotape them and post them on social media.

19. Make Sure The Temperature Is Right For Hedgehogs

They can hibernate when it is very cold. At home, make sure that the temperature is 72 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

20. Hedgehogs' Lifespan

On average, their lifespan is two to five years.