How To Spot Tourists Visiting Maryland

Dear Tourists Visiting Annapolis, Maryland, I Know Who You Are, And You Cannot Hide

Even in the lesser known vacation spots, you can still easily tell if they're a fellow native or one of them...

44
Jane Niland

When someone says "vacation," my hometown of Annapolis, Maryland doesn't automatically come to mind, yet it's still a nice place to visit, and close to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. So, every summer they come flocking in, and no matter how many "how not to look like a tourist" hack articles there are, there is still a type that is easy to spot.

1. Accents.

This is a no brainer, whether they're from another country or a different part of the states. Thankfully, this is one of the most tolerable of their qualities.

2. Baggage.

There are of course the fanny packs, but there are bigger problems. Backpacks. If you see someone with a backpack, they are very likely a tourist. Like, who brings a backpack to a city? Although maybe some parents use them. Or they could be parents AND tourists.

3. Packs.

The other kind of packs. As in groups. Tourists tend to travel in these (at times dressed alike), and often take up the whole sidewalk with these. Um, other people want to get past you, or walk the other way.

Gear

These are a bit harder to spot, since we Marylanders are proud of our state flag. College sweaters are also out. However, there are still those people who obviously just bought that t-shirt for bragging rights, and typically they overload their gear. And I exclude the typical cargo shorts because those are kind of a "thing" here.

5. Maps.

A map from the visitor's center in hand or bag is a dead giveaway, as is one who's actively reading said map or using the paperless alternative of Google Maps. And for some reason, it gives you a fuzzy feeling.

6. Camera Block.

And I'm not talking about not knowing what to take pictures of. Tourists always take pictures, and they typically block walkways to take group pictures. Um, people would like to get through, thanks.

7. Ordering Food.

Typically ice cream. They make up most of the lines, and often take way too long to order. Come on! The internet exists, look up the menu before getting in line! Everything has a website nowadays!

8. The Shops.

They're so obvious in the souvenir shops and the general store. Gushing over the simplest things that remind them of this fair city. It's usually the key chains, mediocre t-shirts, and anything with a name on it.

I say again, tourists are the worst. They disturb the peace of the destination by getting in everyone's way. Although, if one's city has tourists, it means it's an interesting enough place to visit.