How To Protect Your Mental Health This Valentine's Day

10 Ways To Protect Your Mental Health While Being Single On Yet ANOTHER Valentine's Day

Sometimes, you have to treat yourself to some self love on the day of love.

436

I've always envied Valentine's Day — ever since I left elementary school and Valentine's Day parties ended. I couldn't shoot my shot and give my crush the best Valentine card in his Tonka truck Valentine's Day box and I didn't get any sweet-tarts from my crush in return. As soon as middle school began, people seemed to find themselves in relationships. Soon, Valentine's Day at school was flooded with girls squealing over the teddy bear their boyfriend gave them or guys beaming at the picture their girlfriends gifted to them.

I hated going to school on this day and high school only made it worse.

Singing grams would go around for those who wanted to show how much they loved their partner by purchasing a song for $1 to have sung in front of everyone showcasing their love. Lockers would be filled with notes and confessions of love.

I would always get in a depressed headspace when Valentine's Day came around because I knew that I wouldn't be getting any flowers, candy, or love letters in my locker at any point.

I had to grow out of that and realize that Valentine's Day wasn't just a day for couples in love, but for me to love myself, so I began to take steps to protect my mental health for a series of single Valentine's Days.

1. Do not wish you were another couple

This is possibly the worst thing you could do and this is why I began to develop a hatred for Valentine's Day. Do not wish you were Brittany and Josh from next door or Thelma and Paul from your childhood neighborhood.

2. Do not hit up your ex

Do not, under any circumstances, text your ex. Either you are allowing a toxic person back into your life or enabling a toxic behavior within yourself. Let them stay in the past and move on.

3. Take a yoga class

If you live in a bigger city, find your favorite spa that you've been dying to go to and take a yoga class to meditate and protect your mind from all of the red hearts and pink balloons. If you live in a smaller city and don't have the opportunity to take a yoga class, get on YouTube and search for good meditation videos.

4. Get a massage

Forget about the couples who are getting their massages and get one for you.

5. Eat at your favorite restaurant

Don't let the fear of spending Valentine's Day keep you shut inside of your house with a tub of Ben & Jerry's and Netflix. Get dressed up in your best outfit and treat yourself to dinner! You deserve it.

6. Enjoy Galentine's Day

Girls, get your other single friends and enjoy Galentine's Day with drinks, good food, and lots of laughs. It's okay to be surrounded by friends instead of lovers on the day of love.

7. Go visit a nursing home or children's hospital

There are plenty of other people who wish they could celebrate Valentine's Day with loved ones, but can't, especially those who are in nursing homes. Gather some friends or take it solo and deliver some cards to residents in nursing homes or go help some kids in your local children's hospital make Valentine's Day cards for mom and dad.

8. Avoid drowning yourself in work

I know many people who would rather overwork themselves than go out on Valentine's Day. Don't do it. This will cause you to burn out and become more irritated than you already are. Work during the day and leave when the office closes.

9. Journal

I have a special journal that details every Valentine's Day ever since I was 14 years old and it's just for Valentine's Day. Write down your thoughts and feelings or just consider it a new way to appreciate yourself and reflect on your life.

10. Take up a new hobby

I've found that on Valentine's Day, I personally like to learn something new or pick up an old hobby I let go. Lately, I've been practicing speaking the language of love itself, French. Learn a new language or learn to fix a car, whichever suits you.