How Self Isolation Is Changing the Way People Come Together

I have never seen such an isolated time bring people closer together . Here are some stories of joy I have experienced.

9

Back when I was an odyssey writer in college, I wrote an article about how social media was taking away peoples' opportunities to be present and totally happy. I kept thinking, when is is all of this self comparing , wishing, wanting, and needing our life to be different going to stop or at least ease up? The world of people being sucked into their phones, everyone being too busy to make time for relationships that mattered, or seeing too few people out of their homes was a common theme.

Now, many people have journeyed to the great outdoors to get some fresh air and mental clarity from the crazy time we are living in. I have never seen so many families bonding, kids riding their bikes or scooters, and loved ones spending time together in such a long time!

With self isolation and social distancing, people are staying home and having to find ways to stay preoccupied to keep busy. Many have turned to good old fashioned fun and outdoor activities!

Today as I was driving around jamming to some music and getting some fresh air in, I noticed a dad and his two younger kids outside in their front yard. The dad had a huge grin on his face as he held onto a football running away from his two kids who were trying to tackle him. The kids were laughing and smiling looking like they were having the time of their life. I had never seen this family out before and wondered if they had always lived there. I waved hello and could not not help but smile back as I drove by feeling a contagious happiness sweep over me. "Wow this is what it used to feel like when I was younger and see families playing together outside, you just don't see that as often anymore." When I returned back to my neighborhood after my jam sesh I drove by the same house. The dad and his two kids were still out there. This time, the dad was teaching them how to make a play in football. He was acting out the plays and having his kids follow his lead. It was the cutest thing I had ever seen and again smiled at the family as I drove to my house.

As I continued to drive I noticed another dad out with his family throwing the football. Again, I had never seen this family out and noticed the two boys seemed to be around high school age. Dad had a huge smile on his face playfully throwing the football between his two sons and seemed to be having the time of his life. It was so refreshing and heart warming to see these simple actions taking place because it gave me hope that people still desired to be outside and enjoy life's precious moments of spending quality time with loved ones with no distractions.

I have been taking daily walks or runs to get my exercise in during the unknown of this unprecedented time. The days where I used to only run by lawn workers and cars bustling down the road have now turned into kids on their bikes and scooters, teens fishing in the nearby pond and dads out grilling for their families. Middle aged couples are walking and take their time to politely smile and ask how I am doing with a safe social distance in mind. People seems to be all around more joyful for human interaction and excited for adventure outside in nature.

I can't get over how present everyone seems to be. Less people are walking staring at their phones and more people are walking with their family, friend, or whoever decided to be their quarantine buddy. Even my dad yesterday seemed to acknowledge my similar observances of people being present and spending quality time together.

He said to me, "It is really nice how the neighbors next door are outside spending time together. The dad is grilling a meal for everyone and the kids are playing together. I am glad to see everyone outside taking advantage of this beautiful evening."

The comment that my dad said to me made me smile, and gave me hope that things were feeling like how they used to be when we were kids. Simple. Even though this time has been an extremely tough and scary, it has brought people together in ways that has made everyone feel more connected and present.