How Rom Coms Have Taken Over My Life
Life Stages

How Rom Coms Have Taken Over My Life

Do I even really want to be a journalist? Or do I just really love "Never Been Kissed?"

79
How Rom Coms Have Taken Over My Life

From "The Wedding Planner" to "P.S. I Love You," just about everyone loves a certain flavor of romantic comedy. I like to consider myself a friendly neighborhood rom com expert. It takes little to no coaxing to get me to recite "When Harry Met Sally." But I'm starting to think that maybe that's not the best thing for my expectations, my outlook on life, and, let's face it, my sanity. Here's why.

Let's begin with the beginning- the meet cute. You know, that moment when boy runs into girl in the park, spilling coffee on girl. Girl says something clever and off-cuff, then boy realizes how attracted he is to sharp-tongued girl. In ye days of old, I believed in the potential of a meet cute. But in my cynical old age of 21 whole years, I have realized that meet cutes are not a thing. You can find me with perfectly messy hair in the campus Starbucks, but if I spill my drink, a cute boy is not going to magically appear and become the Harry to my Sally.

Now for the obvious- boys. Has ever a rom com featured an accurate boy? Not even real life Matthew McConaughey can compare to "How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days" Matthew McConaughey. And yeah, Ben Affleck is all dreamy and sweet in "Pearl Harbor" (For the sake of this point, I am focusing on only the first half of that movie and dubbing it a rom com), but he had the whole nanny thing while he was with Jennifer Garner. Jen! The perfect woman! This isn't to say that Matthew and Ben aren't upstanding and charitable and whatever, but no man can hold a candle to the rom com men we know and love.

As an avid fan of "Sex and the City," rom coms have inspired me when it comes to the fashion world. This seems innocent enough, but my attempts to recreate Carrie's bold, 2008 New York City fashion choices in 2019 South Mississippi has not always served me well. So, I give up my aspirations of becoming Carrie. But then I watch the movie again. And we're right back to square one. And how many times will I come *this close* to getting bangs after seeing Rachel McAdams in "About Time?" There is truly no telling.

Is it a coincidence that I feel the strong urge to become a lawyer after watching "Legally Blonde?" What about my desire to become an interior decorator after a viewing of "Pillow Talk?" There may be a reason my career plan seems to fluctuate so often- the fact that I immerse myself in movies where beautiful, successful women not only find love but also attain their dream job (and they do it in heels). Do I even really want to be a journalist? Or do I just really love "Never Been Kissed?"

Hear me out- rom coms are great. I will give up "When Harry Met Sally" over my cold, dead body. But take rom coms as they are- entertainment on a screen. And until the day "The Time of My Life" starts playing in the background, I will clean up my own coffee, find what career makes me happy, try my best to be stylish in all that Target has to offer, and try my darned-est to be satisfied. And yes, I will watch "Bridget Jones's Diary" while doing these things.