How To: Prepare For Mid-Terms

How To: Prepare For Mid-Terms

It's the most stressful time of the year.
499

It's that time of the semester again. The tests are beginning to pile up, the homework is non stop, and you don't remember the last time you had a free second to yourself. Midterms are upon us once again. I have test after test after essay after project. The work seems never-ending. Here are tips on thriving, not just surviving.

1. Study

This one is first and obvious. if you want to do well you have to study. The best way to study in my opinion is to write things down. That is the easiest way to memorize key terms or just any simple facts that will be needed for a test.

2. Be organized

Have a planner, and write in it. This the only way I am ever sane during the school year. I look at my planner every day to see what I have to do for the day and weeks ahead. It is also nice to be organized as a whole. Keeping papers together in folders for each class and notes neat and organized will make studying for midterms even easier.

3. Do not procrastinate!

This is something I am definitely still working on. The best way to prevent procrastination when it comes to studying is to take it a little at a time. A week or so in advance of a test, starting studying. Maybe a couple key terms, or a chapter a day. Your memory will strengthen, and the night before review everything you have already covered. Instead of cramming it all in the day before, you will recall all the material quickly and accurately.

4. Sleep

Another thing that college students do not often make a priority. It seems that everyone focuses on drinking coffee and trying to stay up as late as humanly possible. It is not healthy, at all. Get some sleep. Even if you are studying up late at night to put as much information as possible into your head, it will affect your mood the morning after. If you wake up with a headache after getting little sleep, it might be hard to succeed on a test compared to a good night's sleep.

5. Take a break sometimes

After a long day of studying, a break can be needed. A simple 30 minute break can help refresh your mind to be prepared to study more. Personally I like to watch Netflix. Any shows like Friends or The Office really help me take a break and not think about school for 25 minutes. I also like food breaks. Eating is a great way to gain some energy while talking to friends, and not worrying about studying.

6. Don't forget to be positive!

While a lot of work all at once can cause stress, think on the bright side. With a negative attitude, the work will never get done, and the studying will never be as successful.