How Pets Can Improve Your Health

How Pets Can Improve Your Health

why investing in a pet could be the best personal health choice you've made all year.

1
pets
https://pixabay.com/images/id-1149841/

Humans are very different from one another in a myriad of ways, but there's one thing we can all agree upon - pets are truly fantastic. People obviously love pets because they're warm, fuzzy, friendly creatures who brighten up our days after a long shift at work, but few people understand that pets are literally good for your health. Research has consistently demonstrated that pet owners generally have better health than those who are living alone without any fuzzy companions by their side.

Are you trying to live a healthier lifestyle? Here's a review of how pets can improve your health, and why investing in a pet could be the best personal health choice you've made all year.

Pet owners exercise more often

Everybody knows that owning a dog usually entails taking them out for walks now and again. Yet few people realize that this actually leads to serious long-term health gains. According to research highlighted by NPR, dog owners walk for approximately 22 minutes more every day than non-pet owners. This means they're getting more exercise in an era where most of us are shut indoors all day, and it also encourages them to familiarize themselves with their local neighborhoods and parks. Wouldn't it be nice to get a little more fresh air every day? Dogs and other pets are also great for socializing, as many romantic dates and platonic friendships have been struck up because of an animal companion that attracted someone's notice from afar.

Many people are struggling with obesity and other unhealthy habits. While these issues can be incredibly difficult to overcome, they're far easier to conquer with the help of a canine companion. Dogs and other pets aren't just fantastic from the standpoint of encouraging additional physical exercise, either, as they also deliver proven mental health benefits to their owners. Those who are feeling isolated and lonesome should pay particular attention to the mental health benefits of owning a pet - and know that this isn't just restricted to dogs, if you have a fear of canines.

The Human Animal Bond Research Institute is a non-profit organization that studies the connections between humans and their furry companions. Their research is incredibly fascinating and worthy of your consideration; for mental health month, which is aimed at increasing people's awareness and knowledge of mental health issues, they put out scientific research illustrating how animals make humans happier. Veterans who are dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder find comfort in their animal companions. People with disabilities who struggle to get out and about also find friendship in the form of their beloved pets.

We love our pets for good reasons

Every year, Americans alone spend literally billions of dollars on their pets. It's only natural that we love our pets so much - after all, they deliver us proven mental and physical health benefits. They also literally save lives. Reader's Digest has assembled an impressive collection of stories which detail how animals adopted from shelters literally saved the lives of their owners. Dogs and cats have woken their owners up to alert them about fires and burglars which otherwise may have taken innocent lives. No wonder people are so eager to patronize organizations like Pharr Road Animal Hospital and others that look after our furry friends.

Are you trying to convince your friends, family members, or roommates that you should get a pet? Consider pointing out the fact that pets deliver proven mental and physical health benefits. It's also worth pointing out that many pets have literally saved the lives of their owners from immense danger. Dogs may commonly be referred to as man's best friend, but all of our pets are truly wondrous companions who deserve our love and attention.