How to Pack the Perfect Going Out Bag

How to Pack the Perfect Going Out Bag

What to bring and what not to bring out on your night of fun

63
How to Pack the Perfect Going Out Bag

A night out can go downhill quickly when you realize that you don't have something that you need. A night out can also be dragged down when you've brought along a heavy bag, which you've overpacked. The tips below will help to find the sweet spot and build your perfect going-out bag.

1. Find the right bag

While picking a bag for your night out, you should always address where you're going and what you'll be doing. Smaller is usually better since you probably won't be doing too much more than socializing and dancing, which doesn't require much to any equipment. If you're going to a more upscale bar or restaurant and just plan to be lounging the whole night, you can probably get away with bringing a nicer, more expensive wristlet or purse. If you're going dancing or will be moving around a lot, possibly stick to a cross-body bag or something that you can keep track of but move easily in. If you're going to a house party, please do not bring your new Michael Kors. I'd suggest taking a bag that you wouldn't be heartbroken over if it was lost, stolen or stained.

2. Bring the must-haves

It is up to you to see fit about what truly are your must-have items, but here are some that will always come in handy: lip balm, gum or mints, hand sanitizer and facial tissues. Not only are these commonly asked for items that can spark a conversation, but they serve multiple purposes. Lip balm can help take off a liquid lipstick that has started to crack and facial tissues can be used in a bathroom with no toilet paper.

3. Be realistic about how you're ending your night

We never really know what's going to happen at the end of a night out, but we can make an educated guess. If you know you'll be out for a short time and will be going back to your house, you probably don't need to bring as much. If you think you'll be out for a while, maybe pack a charging cord to make sure you can order an Uber home. And, if you think you'll be ending up in another's place, possibly pack things for the next morning such as a toothbrush and deodorant.

4. Be smart and be safe

Sometimes, the items that you shouldn't bring can be more important to think about than the items you might want to bring. For example, while you can easily bring a backpack full of alcohol into a house party, other places will not allow that. If you are going to a street festival or festival in a park, alcohol is usually not allowed and you will get beverages confiscated. Another thing to think about is safety. A small bottle of pepper spray will not only make you feel safe but can come in handy if you find yourself alone at night.

With this said, you should also be smart about your safety. Know your state's laws when dealing with permits and codes where weapons and firearms are concerned.

At the end of the day (or should I say night), you're going out to let off some steam and have fun with friends. While it is good to plan ahead and be prepared, not having hand sanitizer to clean basement stink off your hands is not going to ruin your night. Having fun and being safe are number one priorities, so leave the worries at home but remember your lip balm.