How Not To Look Like A Freshman

How Not To Look Like A Freshman

Look like you know what you're doing in 6 easy steps.

57
How Not To Look Like A Freshman
USM News

There are plenty of ways to spot a freshman on your college campus. Most of the time, it isn't a good thing. If you want to look like you actually know what you're doing, follow these few easy steps.

1. Don't wear your ID on a lanyard.

The easiest way to look like a newbie is to wear your ID around your neck. Please do yourself a favor and just don’t. Instead, invest in a handy cell-phone wallet. Most residence halls hand them out for free but you can also find them on Amazon for just a few dollars.

2. Don’t dress up for class every day.

If wearing dresses and heels to class every day is your thing, then you do you. But, don’t feel like you have to get dolled up for class every day. Most people don’t really care what you look like. Save yourself the time and trouble and dress comfortably instead.

3. Leave the high school apparel at home.

It’s one thing to bring along a couple of club shirts with you to college, but wearing a different spirit tee every day is just too much. You’re going to accumulate plenty of gear from your university over the next four years, especially if you join Greek life. So don’t waste your limited storage space on that old senior class sweatshirt.

4. Only bring the essentials to class.

Unless your professor specifies otherwise, you probably wont need your textbook, stapler, scissors, protractor, and glue sticks on your first day of class. All you really need is a pencil, some paper, and a planner. Don’t throw out your back carrying things you wont even end up using.

5. Don't party too hard.

Unfortunately, peer pressure doesn’t stop after high school. You’re going to be eager for your first college party, but remember to pace yourself and stick close to someone you trust. There’s always one freshman at the party who gets way too drunk and you don’t want it be you. If someone is making you uncomfortable and trying to force you to do something you don’t want to do: leave! You don’t have to stay in a situation that makes you feel unsafe.

And last but not least:

6. Be yourself!

College is the time be who you truly are, or who you’ve always wanted to be. Cut your hair, change your clothes, get more involved, start your new chapter however you want. Now is the time for making memories, so make them awesome!