How To Recreate That Home-Like Atmosphere Away At College
Life Stages

It is OK to miss home.

70
welcome to fl sign

In one word, college and adulting are challenging. It is weird to suddenly have all this freedom where you are in charge and can do anything you want without having someone monitoring you or making you report where you are.

Going into my junior year, I still feel weird being my own parent and often sit and ask myself what should I make for dinner or do I even need to eat?

Sure, the freedom is fantastic because if you don't want to do something, guess what you don't have to do it (crazy concept)! But sometimes I will admit, I miss the good ol' high school days when there was always food in the fridge and I was surrounded by a big, loving support system.

With all the changes, I have learned that it is OK to miss home but creating an environment like home will only make you enjoy this new journey and in the end more comfortable.

Below are some ways to help keep yourself occupied when missing home. Enjoy!

1. Get involved!

Whether it is a sorority, club, student government, or an orientation leader, getting involved on any college campus keeps you educated, involved, social, and distracted. Not only will you gain further experience with leadership and involvement, but you will make friends that you can hang with outside of the program. Getting involved provides leadership skills, friends, and great experiences for you to add on to your resume later! (SCORE!

2. Surround yourself with people who will bring positivity in your life

It is hard to find your group AND it is OK if you have not found one yet. I personally think it is better to have multiple friend groups where you can do different activities with versus having only one close friend group. Sure, it is great to have close friends, but the point of college is to branch out and meet people like you and not like you. Embrace the diversity! No matter who you let into your circle make sure they are only putting in positivity energy. College and life are hard as it is. Why add more stress?

3. Create a living environment like home

Home can be a person, place, or thing. Home is powerful in the sense that it makes you feel safe, cozy, and warm. To ensure that you will feel at home while away, why not create an environment similar to how and where you feel at home. Put up pictures, lights, decorate with comfy pillows or warm colors, can help you create a positivity and comforting environment.

4. Keep yourself busy

Sure, it's okay to have some downtime to binge Netflix and hang out with friends but try to keep yourself busy so you are not sitting and wishing you were home. You are at college for a reason: to experience/make memories and to get a degree. With this in mind, explore and find cool things near you. Make some friends. Try new and exciting things you may have always been skeptical about. Keep yourself busy, so you are not sitting and wishing you were home.

5. Make a routine

Through trial and error, I have found that following a weekly routine helps you feel on top of your life and organized. In high school, it was easier. You were in school from 8-5, did extracurricular activities, ate, and probably went to bed. But, in college, life is different. We have the privilege to make our own schedule. For example, we may not have class every day of the week. What if you want to see friends or go workout? All of these options are great but establishing a set routine and adding in times to see friends and workout will really help you feel like you are in order and feel like you are slowly "adulting!" GO YOU!

6. Visit home when you need a little extra tender loving care "TLC" or phone when you have the time or need it.

As we all know, life gets messy. Visit home when you can. Phone or text when you can. Hearing a familiar voice on the other end cheering me on always makes me feel good. It is important to remember that while we are growing so are our parents and family members. Keep up with them and visit. From experience, family members love to see pictures and hear about events going on while you are away.

All in all, it is OK to miss home. Think about it, this is the place that made you, you. But now it is time to spread your wings. Spread your wings and migrate home when you feel like you need that extra push or break. No matter where home is, it is in your heart and will always be.