How Living On Penn State's Campus Has Changed Because of COVID-19

Some changes are for the better, and some just suck, but they're all there to keep us safe

6

Being back at Penn State is something I've been waiting for since the campus shut down in March of 2019. I was devastated to find out that we would be continuing classes online since I knew that I wouldn't be able to have the same experiences as I would if I was living on campus. For five months, I was counting down the days until I could walk on campus again and see the good friends I made last semester. Finally, August came and I was driving back to campus. When I saw the large Penn State logo on Beaver Stadium, I felt like I was home again.

Soon, I was all unpacked and settled into my new room. Since I am a sophomore this year, I am living in a single room, and this experience is much different than last year since I shared a room with my best friend in Pollock halls. I put all my decor up and when Monday (the first day of classes) came I was ready to start the semester. The first day wasn't bad since I was just focusing on getting my school work done p, but then, as the week went on, I started to realize how different being on campus is. There are some major changes on campus that have been set in place to try and help the students stay safe from Covid-19. Some changes, in my opinion, are making my semester less stressful, but some are making it less fun.

Changes on campus have really impacted how I live here. The largest change is having classes online. This change can be classified as good and bad. The nice part about this is that I don't have to walk to class. I just roll out of bed and turn on my laptop and start class. The not-so-fun part about having classes online is not being able to form relationships. Last semester, I met some of my best friends in class and with being in "Zoom University," I'm not able to meet new people as easily. Having all classes online also limits me from creating connections with my professors, TA's, and other people. Even though I get to attend classes in my dorm room in my pajamas and not have to rush to get to the correct building on time, not being able to talk and meet new people in class brings the college experience down. Since social distancing is practiced here on campus, clubs are limited on meetings and activities. Since I am a part of a couple clubs, I am not able to fully engage myself like I would be able to if we could meet in person.

Another major change that puts a damper on the college experience is the dining hall. One of my favorites was Redifer Commons, since they had such a variety of food. Last year, they had a panini station, a wrap station, a whole salad bar, a grill station and some other options, but because of social distance practicing and limits on space, Redifer only has a pizza station open as well as the buffet. In my opinion, Penn State is doing a good job at trying to limit contact, so the buffet style at the Commons works but not being able to sit down and have dinner with your friends without worrying about staying six feet apart doesn't make the dining hall a fun place to be. Another change that I appreciate is the service of having students order food through an app and then being able to just pick it up. This is a quick, efficient system that has worked well for me so far, and I like being able to walk into the convenience store, find my order and leave. The only downside to this system is not having the options that were available last year when you could actually shop for your own items.

Even though these changes may not be able to give me a full college experience, I am grateful to be back on campus. I appreciate all that the Penn State faculty and staff has done to try and make this year the best that it can be due to Covid-19 restrictions. Since they are giving a little to try and make this semester safe and fun, we, the students also have to give a little to ensure that we are able to stay on campus. The atmosphere, the one that makes you feel happy and proud to be a Nittany Lion hasn't changed and I don't want to leave it unless I have to.